Orienteering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torgo

New to the site!
Reaction score
Does anyone here teach or are involved in Orienteering? I know absolutely nothing about it, but would like to develop this skill. I looked online, but there are no clubs or chapters in Oklahoma, much less in the Tulsa area. I know there are some Boy and Eagle scouts on here, so they must have been exposed to it.

I have a GPS, and would like to practice with it more, but more than that, being able to use a map and compass is something I need to learn. I was looking at some Geocaching sites too, and that looks like it could be fun as well. Just thinking it would give me a reason to get out and do some hiking and have some fun with the grandkids.

Anyone have any suggestions on equipment, how to get started, groups in the Tulsa area?

I checked the Orienteering USA website and there were no clubs listed in Oklahoma. Very dissapointed. Use to be the the ROTC programs were very involved with this. In fact when at OSU I won the Novice Intercollegiate Championship. Been away from the sport for years. Need to get back. You need this for gear: shoes with traction (soccer shoes), a compass that is at least 2" on the side (I always perfered Silva), clothes that cover your whole body (you will be introduced to "fight"), the clothes must be breatheable but resistant to getting snarled in thorny vines (fight).

Good luck.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I checked the Orienteering USA website and there were no clubs listed in Oklahoma. Very dissapointed. Use to be the the ROTC programs were very involved with this. In fact when at OSU I won the Novice Intercollegiate Championship. Been away from the sport for years. Need to get back. You need this for gear: shoes with traction (soccer shoes), a compass that is at least 2" on the side (I always perfered Silva), clothes that cover your whole body (you will be introduced to "fight"), the clothes must be breatheable but resistant to getting snarled in thorny vines (fight).

Good luck.

I always called them " Wait a minute vines"..

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Good luck.

I always called them " Wait a minute vines"..

That's what we called them when I was in Army ROTC @ OSU -- the woods around Lake Carl Blackwell are full of them and that's where we did our various tactical exercises then (1973-77).

Blackie

New to the site!
Reaction score
Does anyone here teach or are involved in Orienteering? I know absolutely nothing about it, but would like to develop this skill. I looked online, but there are no clubs or chapters in Oklahoma, much less in the Tulsa area. I know there are some Boy and Eagle scouts on here, so they must have been exposed to it.

I have a GPS, and would like to practice with it more, but more than that, being able to use a map and compass is something I need to learn. I was looking at some Geocaching sites too, and that looks like it could be fun as well. Just thinking it would give me a reason to get out and do some hiking and have some fun with the grandkids.

Anyone have any suggestions on equipment, how to get started, groups in the Tulsa area?
I was a Boy Scout and also grew up on the Atlantic Ocean and GPS doesn't belong as far as I'm concerned all you need is a map and a compass! GPS is the lazy man's way!!

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old, old thread...but interesting.

I've always liked maps. Probably because we didn't have GPS and all the fancy electronic gear growing up. I learned some decent land nav skills in the AF. And, as a deputy and a police officer, I relied on map books to get around. It's a skill few people learn these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom