Orienteering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was one of my favorite things back when I was in scouting. We didn’t have a GPS. Hell we rarely had a map. One of the challenge games the leaders would do was drop us at the gate of a ranch with coordinates and yards to the first stake. It was up to us to orient ourselves to the stake where we would then find our second heading and distance, so on and so forth. It was generally a 3-6 hr course and at the end was our campsite. Those turds were tricky though. Many times they would walk us where we could see the camp with 1-3 stakes left. And would tie $20 bills to those last stakes so if you skipped them and headed into camp you wouldn’t find the money

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone here teach or are involved in Orienteering? I know absolutely nothing about it, but would like to develop this skill. I looked online, but there are no clubs or chapters in Oklahoma, much less in the Tulsa area. I know there are some Boy and Eagle scouts on here, so they must have been exposed to it.

I have a GPS, and would like to practice with it more, but more than that, being able to use a map and compass is something I need to learn. I was looking at some Geocaching sites too, and that looks like it could be fun as well. Just thinking it would give me a reason to get out and do some hiking and have some fun with the grandkids.

Anyone have any suggestions on equipment, how to get started, groups in the Tulsa area?
had a book on it your welcome to let me look !

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone here teach or are involved in Orienteering? I know absolutely nothing about it, but would like to develop this skill. I looked online, but there are no clubs or chapters in Oklahoma, much less in the Tulsa area. I know there are some Boy and Eagle scouts on here, so they must have been exposed to it.

I have a GPS, and would like to practice with it more, but more than that, being able to use a map and compass is something I need to learn. I was looking at some Geocaching sites too, and that looks like it could be fun as well. Just thinking it would give me a reason to get out and do some hiking and have some fun with the grandkids.

Anyone have any suggestions on equipment, how to get started, groups in the Tulsa area?

This is what you need! (It has replaced Orienteering)

1680232264966.png

cmeilahn

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I used to love Orienteering when I had the time to do it…. I haven’t taught it in years, but did ages ago as a Scout, and 10-ish years ago to some Scouts. I would have to spend some time getting back up to speed and finding “modern” resources.

I would also recommend geocaching for the fun and for getting outside. You can try it out without much investment… use the geocaching.com app on a smartphone. The account is free to start. I pay for the premium, but it is not necessary. Back when geocaching was new, I would plan the outing and locate the estimated GPS location on a map, and then use orienteering to get there. I was single, had no kids, and a lot of spare time…. I enjoy geocaching and have introduced it to all 4 kids…. Now I just go whenever, usually using the app on my phone.

PM me if you’d like to chat, etc

Latest posts

Top Bottom