Orienteering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The GPS orienteering sounds fun. Being able to verify that yes my pace didn’t get screwed up while walking up that hill, or not having to leave one man behind to make sure we don’t go off bearing when there is no obvious site goal. We used to be pretty good, but pretty good was relative to a few hundred feet sometimes if it was a formidable distance

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 4th Infantry Division patch (with the 4 arrows) was called "Four Lt's, each pointing toward North."
I wore a 4th ID patch and never heard this. If it is a joke, it’s a piss poor attempt, making fun of a division that still kicks ass. Never heard a combat arms troop make fun of their division. Maybe just me.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Army doesn't do orienteering. They do Land Nav. Map, Compass, and Protractor. Even 2LTs know how to Land Nav - they may be LLM and disorientated, but they'll eventually get there. Nothing's dangerous about them.

Map-Reading-Land-Navigation-Manual 1.jpg

Attachments

• Map-Reading-Land-Navigation-Manual-2.jpg
    Map-Reading-Land-Navigation-Manual-2.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 0

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone here teach or are involved in Orienteering? I know absolutely nothing about it, but would like to develop this skill. I looked online, but there are no clubs or chapters in Oklahoma, much less in the Tulsa area. I know there are some Boy and Eagle scouts on here, so they must have been exposed to it.

I have a GPS, and would like to practice with it more, but more than that, being able to use a map and compass is something I need to learn. I was looking at some Geocaching sites too, and that looks like it could be fun as well. Just thinking it would give me a reason to get out and do some hiking and have some fun with the grandkids.

Anyone have any suggestions on equipment, how to get started, groups in the Tulsa area?

This is what you need! (It has replaced Orienteering)

View attachment 362925
Not really. Go into a canyon and that GPS won't work because it can't acquire sats. Military lensatic compass will get you out every time.
I spend a lot of time in the mountains at different times of the year and have friends that hunt the backwoods. Everyone has been fooled by a gps. Never by a real compass.
A friend on a bear hunt in Montana spent a long cold night under a log in grizzley country with nothing but an arrow and a knife in his hands because his GPS kept telling him what way was North which got him lost. Not enough sats to follow his tracks back.
I've used a GPS in New Mexico in the desert to find a way to the Rio Grande River by Taos coming on this sign, which was true. The location we were looking for was 20 miles away.
GPS lied to us. Another OSA member was in the truck with me to verify.

BEDB2361-F3DA-4587-BA6F-C57C5DE2A6CE.png

People die every year when they rely on GPS alone.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It appears that a lot of individuals do not purchase the Maps for their GPS.
If you have purchased and installed the topo maps it is impossible to get lost.
You look at you map before you go down in a very steep sided canyon.
Using waypoints (Breadcrumbs) is not the proper way to navigate.

Jump down into a well and see if a Military Lensatic Compass will get you out!

Your picture is cute but wrong, The waypoint you entered is wrong not the GPS.
There are several standards for maps (Setting on GPS)

TOPO Maps: For hunting & Hiking
Lake: Show dept of water (Like a topo map)
Street & Roads: Car navigation

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wore a 4th ID patch and never heard this. If it is a joke, it’s a piss poor attempt, making fun of a division that still kicks ass. Never heard a combat arms troop make fun of their division. Maybe just me

I wore a 4th ID patch and never heard this. If it is a joke, it’s a piss poor attempt, making fun of a division that still kicks ass. Never heard a combat arms troop make fun of their division. Maybe just me.
I wore that patch 92-96 and we said that all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom