Ortho shoulder surgeon ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Partially tore my rotator cuff twenty years ago and waited till it got so stiff I could barely dress myself and then went to the doc and got a MRI and that is when he told me that I had a partial tear.....with PT at the time I got through it and and got my mobility back and have learned to live with it ever since by being carefull of what I do, although I've never tried to baby the arm.

Well now it's twenty years later, I'm almost 65 and it's been acting up for a couple weeks.....tender in the shoulder itself as well as down the outside of my arm from my shoulder to my elbow, can't hold it it certain positions long without moving it to a different position, especially while driving and resting my arm on the window.

Two fellas at work had their shoulders / rotator cuffs fixed and they both said that after the surgery it was the most intense pain they had ever felt even with the pain pills......both said they had to sleep in a chair for 'X' period, wear a snug sling that kept their arms tight to their chests and imobile for quite awhile after and then joys of PT to get the arm mobile again.

Let's say I do want a ortho surgen to look at it, knowing that the out come will probably mean surgery, but would like to stay close to home, who would you use in the Norman area ?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Partially tore my rotator cuff twenty years ago and waited till it got so stiff I could barely dress myself and then went to the doc and got a MRI and that is when he told me that I had a partial tear.....with PT at the time I got through it and and got my mobility back and have learned to live with it ever since by being carefull of what I do, although I've never tried to baby the arm.

Well now it's twenty years later, I'm almost 65 and it's been acting up for a couple weeks.....tender in the shoulder itself as well as down the outside of my arm from my shoulder to my elbow, can't hold it it certain positions long without moving it to a different position, especially while driving and resting my arm on the window.

Two fellas at work had their shoulders / rotator cuffs fixed and they both said that after the surgery it was the most intense pain they had ever felt even with the pain pills......both said they had to sleep in a chair for 'X' period, wear a snug sling that kept their arms tight to their chests and imobile for quite awhile after and then joys of PT to get the arm mobile again.

Let's say I do want a ortho surgen to look at it, knowing that the out come will probably mean surgery, but would like to stay close to home, who would you use in the Norman area ?

I had surgery for a severe repair almost a year ago.

My experience mirrored what you have heard, a lot of post surgery pain and discomfort. Slept in a recliner for a month, several months of pt.

I can tell you now, I am glad I did it. No pain, great mobility, super results.

tbsadavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had surgery in 2007 for partial tear in right shoulder. Quite the opposite experience. Almost no pain or bad side effects. PT for 2 months. Never got back to 100 percent but no pain or discomfort either.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had surgery in 2007 for partial tear in right shoulder. Quite the opposite experience. Almost no pain or bad side effects. PT for 2 months. Never got back to 100 percent but no pain or discomfort either.[/QUOTE

Had surgery in 2012 with same results. Just do exactly as the doc says and don't skimp on rehab. I used Dr. Cummings in Ardmore and highly recommend if you don't find someone closer.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Earlier this year I had a MRI. Partial tear right shoulder. I had developed adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder). Surgeon recommended PT. Glad I did the PT as I have about 90 percent movement back with very little pain. It has taken over three months going three times a week. Shooting for that last ten percent.

My first experience with the VA in thirty years. Been a great experience. If your a veteran, it may be a option you may want to consider.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not in Norman but would recommend Dr. Geib. Also, had knee scoped by Dr Hines and was good.
I had 80% rotator cuff torn and had surgury. Only took 4 pain pills. Very little pain. Slept in recliner for a while also. Was not a bad experience...

Latest posts

Top Bottom