OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far, today is dry in SW OKC. No promises for the balance of the day. We had some friends and family hit last night in Joplin and Jefferson City. Their damage was minimal, but others were not so fortunate. This has been a crazy couple of weeks!

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey gang,
Just came in from pushing logs and debris away from our lake house. It’s a hell of lot easier to float them out than to haul them out with a tractor after the water goes down.

When we pulled into our carport to unload groceries, the water was three quarters up the tires.
I had waders on but we had to buy my wife some hip boots at Walmart.

1E5C49B4-4CD8-4C66-BC5C-0724F742D3C9.jpeg.jpg
75B285FF-F3C6-49DC-BA66-F97A76157C9C.jpeg.jpg
84947624-23C8-4F42-A9E5-CD18DE2FDEC7.jpeg.jpg
E3E5F6C1-F81F-4706-8336-689A6E66D660.jpeg.jpg

Attachments

• F5FDD747-6D1A-4C56-8DEB-C36C364CFF8D.jpeg.jpg
    F5FDD747-6D1A-4C56-8DEB-C36C364CFF8D.jpeg.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 183

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, that sucks. Is it inside yet?
Kaw Lake has been releasing at 55,000 CFS, and can't keep up. inflow is 85,000 CFS. Outflow is not keeping up. We have been pinned in the house for two days now as our driveway has been 3' deep. The lake is 37' over normal level and climbing quickly. Only has about 9' to breach the dam or go around the sides.
They opened the gates to 80'000 GPS at 7:00 tonight. Folks downstream are in major trouble if they are in the floodplain. We are not as we live up on a ridge looking over that area.
It's going to take a while to get the lake down with another 3-5" of rain predicted in the Arkansas River watershed tonight.
May have to call the neighbor to the North that has the 1/2 section to see if he will let me cut the fence and drive across high ground if I get short of whisky.......

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@dancer4life That really sucks. It will clear out any pests that may have been lurking but when the water goes down you will have to open the underneath up and get it dried out fast and spray the underside with a mold killer ASAP otherwise it will take over and be uninhabitable without gutting the whole thing.

@dennishoddy You could always have someone airlift you a bottle via drone. I heard all the big delivery services are working on that kind of thing now. Be a good time for a test case, LOL. It sucks having this much rain come down though.

Guthrie at one point only had one major road in and out of three sections of town, 77 is flooded to the north, Division/77 was flooded south of downtown and 33 ended up flooding west of downtown even though they built the new bridge and stuff. Seems they needed to raise the road another 2 or three feet higher to be useful in major flooding. This picture was earlier in the day, 10 minutes later Division was shut down and the road west of this point was shut down later on. Not sure what time but at around 10pm someone I know tried to go that way to get home and it was closed so the water came up at least another 4 feet from when this picture was taken. The water was actually backing up from cotton creek the wrong direction across division by Mineral Wells park and it flooded a bunch of stuff out. I would not be surprised if they close the sonic that is right there for good since there is another one by the interstate.

20190521_151347.jpg

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I am so sorry to see this. I have a cousin in South Dakota with a very similar situation that started earlier this week and talking to him about the mess, smell, and naturally the loss just makes me sick. Prayers for you and wife as you work to recover.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I am so sorry to see this. I have a cousin in South Dakota with a very similar situation that started earlier this week and talking to him about the mess, smell, and naturally the loss just makes me sick. Prayers for you and wife as you work to recover.
We do have the swamp smell here now. 80% humidity now.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning gang,
Thanks everyone for your concerns and advice.
Hopefully it will start to recede soon. We will be doing some wading today to float the big debris away from the place while the water is still high. Makes it so much easing to just push it away in the water.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't uploaded my new photos of Craters of the Moon yet, so this one comes from some years ago. While we were at Craters yesterday, the temps were in the mid 40's and we were getting occasional sprinkles. Kind of took heart that it was my birthday yesterday and this old 73 year old climbed a pretty steep cinder cone to get some pictures. To be truthful, though, I had to stop a few times in the steepest places to catch my breath.

Craters of the Moon is interesting in that there are so many variations of the landscape with respect to what the lava and basalt rock has done, and in spite of all that, there is still lots of plants and trees.

Latest posts

Top Bottom