OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like everyone has been having a lot of fun.

Since Sunday I have been spending my days at the Oklahoma Heart Hospital. My mother in law has a large aortic aneurysm as well as no longer able to swallow things down as the point where the esophagus meets the stomach is not opening. Right now she is a ticking time bomb and she has to decide if she wants a tube inserted into her stomach or to try injecting botox and see if that will help or basically go to comfort care. She has lost so much weight over the last few months from not being able to swallow right that now, being unable to eat, she has low blood sugar.

I am leaving out again to go spend some time and help try to keep her comfortable.

Sorry to hear that, John. Wish you both the best. I have a cousin who just had his esophagus 'stretched' for the second time because it was not opening enough. Have they mentioned that option? Or, is she even strong enough to go through that?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. And she isn't fully coherent right now. She is opting for a feeding tube though but it will either be late tonight or tomorrow before it goes in and then 12 to 24 hours before they start using it.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Surgery is done. She had food trapped in her esophagus when they went in to check things. The aneurysm is pressing on it preventing anything from going down. She was back in the room around 8pm tonight and is still sleeping. I am staying as long as I can but need to wash some stuff for her in the morning and bring it along when I come back down. Her sister and granddaughter have already left for the night and will be back sometime in the morning. I have a couple things di deal with so won't get here till around 1 or so. Thankfully a neighbor is watching my wife's dog for me.

The bad thing about the aortic aneurysm is that she is not a good candidate for surgery. She was scoped on Wednesday last week as well and she was already having trouble but I have to wonder why it was not noticed or if his actions caused or worsened things. From what I can tell by her current gastroenterologist way of taking about the one who did the procedure last week the other guy is probably closer to the bottom of the graduating class.

Hopefully some liquid food will be in her stomach tomorrow so she can at least not feel hungry or thirsty.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All things come to an end and 6/30 will mark the end of my association with the Oklahoma Manufacturing Alliance. I will continue at Tulsa Technology Center in Business and Industry Services until my retirement on 3/1/2020. I’ve been asked to contribute after retirement as a part-time adjunct instructor and consultant in the areas of industrial safety, continuous improvement, quality management, and leadership training. I look forward to engaging with Tulsa Tech clients in a new way while also enjoying some more time with my wife and family. Best wishes to my previous colleagues. Looking forward to the retirement adventure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom