OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, thought about that but I had intended on having a place to stay so I would have cash for other stuff. I can go to a hostel and get a bed for 20 to 25 bucks a day but from the 7th to the 23rd it ends up being 300 plus food for the time there and doesn't even get into other stuff.

I also thought about calling the airline directly and seeing if they will work with me to use it another time. I will not even get a response from the insurance place for around 30 days from the time I get it canceled if they approve it or not. It's like everything is geared to just bend you over...
We bought the flite insurance for a trip to Alaska that got canceled at the last minute. There is so much red tape and exceptions, that it's almost impossible to collect.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, thought about that but I had intended on having a place to stay so I would have cash for other stuff. I can go to a hostel and get a bed for 20 to 25 bucks a day but from the 7th to the 23rd it ends up being 300 plus food for the time there and doesn't even get into other stuff.
Is camping an option?

Just a thought. ;)

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We bought the flite insurance for a trip to Alaska that got canceled at the last minute. There is so much red tape and exceptions, that it's almost impossible to collect.

Exactly... That is why I am thinking about calling the airline directly and explaining things. They can keep the money and I can do something another time.

Is camping an option?

Just a thought. ;)

No, it's not. On the way down you have to give the address of where you will be staying. Sure I could give the address where I was going to stay but if they try to verify I am screwed. With my luck they will and then I get to get back on a plane and go home and still be out the money for the flight. Maybe things will work out and I can get American Airlines to work with me.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it will come down to understanding, but policy. I flew to Williston, SD about 3-4 years ago for work, got the non-refundable ticket because the refundable was about twice as much. Was supposed to be there a week but finished a couple of days early and rescheduled the return trip home. Cost a $200 rescheduling fee, but people who had been making that trip regularly for a couple of months said they did that all the time, and it was still cheaper than the refundable fare. I don't remember which airline I used, but I would bet they are all pretty similar. You can probably look at their website and find their policy on changes, if not it's certainly worth a call if not.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck calling American. That was the airline that we were going to use to Alaska when it was canceled. They basically said the insurance was a second party issue and they had nothing but their internal rules to go by, with no influence on the insurance company that sold us the flight insurance. Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but after spending tons of time on the phone with anybody that would listen, goodbye almost $2000.
Not counting the resorts, rental car companies, etc in Alaska. Zero of them offer refundable reservations, and the flight insurance refused to help on those. Goodbye an additional huge chunk of money on top of the airfare.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the airlines my son used was United, but a few years back, he had booked a flight to Oregon for a vacation while we were still up there. However, we ended up moving from Oregon to Utah in our RV, so he called the airlines to see if it could be "rescheduled and re-routed." Like Aries, it ended up being a fee of $200 for the change-over, but it worked out for us. He wasn't out anything because the wife and I covered the $200 fee because it was our fault that it happened.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they do charge a fee the fee listed is higher than the cost of the ticket since this is an international flight. I will then just make sure to try the insurance.

And I don't want to sound like a jerk but they pulled all of this without thinking. I am the only person in the world who has the photo albums and pictures my wife took. If I don't get a refund I have that much less incentive to hand them over. Before I went on a dive I gave someone my final wishes information and made sure that it was fully known that my wife's family was to receive nothing, that is still fully in effect and there is nothing they can do about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom