OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a broad-leafed vine that was introduced to America (came from Japan) to combat soil erosion. Bad thing is that the stuff can grow a foot a year and will cover anything. We've seen it covering acres and to the tops of trees. Here is a railroad car that has sit just a wee bit too long on a siding in Enterprise, Alabama. The stuff is called Kudzu, and it has taken over the ends of the rail car.

We are currently in Dothan, AL, which is in the Southeastern part of the state. Tropical storm/depression Claudette is giving us rain, so we are just sitting in the hotel. Could be sitting here for a few days.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a broad-leafed vine that was introduced to America (came from Japan) to combat soil erosion. Bad thing is that the stuff can grow a foot a year and will cover anything. We've seen it covering acres and to the tops of trees. Here is a railroad car that has sit just a wee bit too long on a siding in Enterprise, Alabama. The stuff is called Kudzu, and it has taken over the ends of the rail car.
It's actually edible... both for livestock and humans. :drunk2:

"Kudzu leaves, vine tips and roots are edible. The kudzu plant also produces fragrant, purple blossoms which you can make into jelly, syrup and candy. Wash kudzu parts thoroughly before cooking or eating them."
https://www.livestrong.com/article/474310-how-to-cook-eat-kudzu/

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Afternoon gang.
We sold our boat today. I’m going boat shopping Monday. The great thing is that we get to keep our boat until we buy a new one.
My wife was freaking out thinking we would be without a boat for the 4th of July. Lol
No Way!
:clap3: That is what I need. A buyer that lets me keep it until I buy another. 6-8 month wait for the boat I want.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be safe down there those tropical depressions can bring tornadoes in that part of the country. And what is bad about that area is you can't see them coming for all the trees. I know first hand, was born and raised 1hr and 15 min. Northwest of Dothan. I hope there warning systems have gotten better than back then
Not to be rude or anything but Kudzu grows a foot per day not year during the growing season.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be safe down there those tropical depressions can bring tornadoes in that part of the country. And what is bad about that area is you can't see them coming for all the trees. I know first hand, was born and raised 1hr and 15 min. Northwest of Dothan. I hope there warning systems have gotten better than back then
Not to be rude or anything but Kudzu grows a foot per day not year during the growing season.

Yes, you are right about Kudzu. I misquoted what I read about the plant. We are still amazed at its resilience and ability to spread.

And I thought Bindweed was bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom