OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the original plumber had used schedule 40 instead of schedule 20 pvc, it probably wouldn't have broken.
Laid lots of new waterline at the place I worked a few years ago. We used black poly pipe with several "stub ups" for waterers and hydrants. It can take lots of abuse. There's just not a good way to add poly to an existing pvc line besides a $30 brass compression fitting and I really don't think that's a good long term joint. If I'm laying new line though, I vote for poly all day because of its toughness and the speed at which it can be laid.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Laid lots of new waterline at the place I worked a few years ago. We used black poly pipe with several "stub ups" for waterers and hydrants. It can take lots of abuse. There's just not a good way to add poly to an existing pvc line besides a $30 brass compression fitting and I really don't think that's a good long term joint. If I'm laying new line though, I vote for poly all day because of its toughness and the speed at which it can be laid.
I just helped a buddy that bought a new place and needed hydrants for his garden and the water tanks for cattle. He ran the PEC all the way with brass compression fittings. Supposed to be flexible enough to not burst if frozen and can handle high pressure. The distance from his well was about 1/4 mile. Not that far, and it's deep enough to never freeze.
I'd love to use that stuff. My "bump" would have not resulted in any damage.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The black poly we laid, we butt welded together with a tool meant for doing so. Anytime we had to tap an existing poly line to tee off of we used couplings that a machine hooked to with two electric leads that welded the coupling on. We did lay some white pipe here don't remember what it was called, mayve been PEC, we used those slip-on sharkbite connectors. One tee, 300' of pipe and a sharkbite elbow up to a frost free hydrant. All buried 3' and no problems in 4yrs.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
th

Good morning gang.

Latest posts

Top Bottom