OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last day of seeing the sights of South Dakota today. We went out west of Rapid City to see the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site and the Badlands.

The Minuteman Missile NHS is a complex of three different sites within a few miles of each other. Delta-09 is a visible silo with a training Minuteman missile within it. Delta-01 is the missile launch complex a few miles east of the silo. The launch complex has the support facilities on the surface at the site while the actual launch control center is underground. When in operation, there were 8 enlisted men on duty to support the 2 officers that manned the launch center. One of the enlisted men was the NCO in charge, and he over saw the others, those being one cook and 6 men for security.

First, the Minuteman in its silo at Delta-09.

Launch site support buildings.

Delta-01 also had entertainment facilities. It looked like it had a volleyball court and some kind of cooker for cooking food outside.

One can tour the Delta-01 site only if they book a reservation and pay a fee. There is a limit of something like 6 people that can be on a tour. During the busy season, reservations can be as far out as 8 weeks, so if one goes there during the tourist season, one better book early. We might could have toured it, but their aboveground facilities are under renovation, and if I can't see the whole system, I'll just wait.

The Minuteman museum is right off of I-90 and is easy to see. Plus, if anyone is interested, it is at the same intersection as one of the entrances to the Badlands National Park. That intersection is I-90 and Highway 240. We took in the museum and then went to the Badlands.

The open area of this missile "head" apparently is where the nuclear warhead would be located.

Tomorrow, we head home, and I'm really ready to get back there.
I know what you mean. For 6 straight years we would take a 3 week motorcycle trip. We went all over the USA and Canada but after 3 weeks this home body was ready to be home. That led to our personal record 1-day trip of 600 miles on the bike getting home just west side of Albuquerque to OKC

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watching the sunrise in the woods this morning
49CB2AC9-E735-495E-987C-92F278D3AECC.jpeg

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I know what you mean. For 6 straight years we would take a 3 week motorcycle trip. We went all over the USA and Canada but after 3 weeks this home body was ready to be home. That led to our personal record 1-day trip of 600 miles on the bike getting home just west side of Albuquerque to OKC

Me and my brother day tripped our Harleys to the Red River Rally in Red River, NM one year. We go the Raton way to RR. Once we got there we rode the Enchanted Circle then made our way back to Guymon. Just mapped it and my phone says it is 589 miles. That wears a fella out on a Harley.

Another time I met a buddy in Ft. Supply one morning and we met up with some of his cousins at Cherokee Trading Post on I-40. We wandered our way to Lawton and Mt. Scott and Medicine Park taking off the beaten path highways. Me and my buddy decided to go home instead of stay the night somewhere and got back home to Guymon super late. My trip on my Harley said 650 miles for that day.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me and my brother day tripped our Harleys to the Red River Rally in Red River, NM one year. We go the Raton way to RR. Once we got there we rode the Enchanted Circle then made our way back to Guymon. Just mapped it and my phone says it is 589 miles. That wears a fella out on a Harley.

Another time I met a buddy in Ft. Supply one morning and we met up with some of his cousins at Cherokee Trading Post on I-40. We wandered our way to Lawton and Mt. Scott and Medicine Park taking off the beaten path highways. Me and my buddy decided to go home instead of stay the night somewhere and got back home to Guymon super late. My trip on my Harley said 650 miles for that day.

I have found out I can ride the bike farther than my F150 and not be as tired and worn out. I don’t know if it’s because I’m more aware and less bored or what. I have a Goldwing. It’s a pretty cushy ride.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to top off my protein feeders one more time, so after I got out of the deer stand this morning I made a trip to Tractor Supply in Enid to pick up the All Stock. I forgot Harbor Freight is next door to TSC, and I’ve been wanting to try a Bauer cordless chainsaw because I like the Bauer pole saw so much. After just a few cuts before heading back to the deer stand, I think it’s going to work just fine. :thumb:

You shoulda' hollered!

Latest posts

Top Bottom