OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. We will be staying in Colorado next summer at Antonito again in the RV and plan to get a cabin around Pagosa springs for a few days to explore that area vs making it a day trip.

OK. You are bringing up more stuff. Have you ever been to Great Sand Dunes National Park? North, East, and then North again from Antonito. And, if you have been up there, have you every been to see Zapata Falls, which is an attraction before you get to the Sand Dunes?

When we did two weeks at Sportsman's Campground in 2009, that served as our "base of operations" for day trips all around. Mesa Verde, Durango to Silverton steam train, waterfalls, hiking trails, etc. So much to see that two weeks really wasn't long enough, because the wife and I refuse to go on vacation and "go-go-go" all the time to try to see everything.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK. You are bringing up more stuff. Have you ever been to Great Sand Dunes National Park? North, East, and then North again from Antonito. And, if you have been up there, have you every been to see Zapata Falls, which is an attraction before you get to the Sand Dunes?

When we did two weeks at Sportsman's Campground in 2009, that served as our "base of operations" for day trips all around. Mesa Verde, Durango to Silverton steam train, waterfalls, hiking trails, etc. So much to see that two weeks really wasn't long enough, because the wife and I refuse to go on vacation and "go-go-go" all the time to try to see everything.
Yes, we made the dunes, and took our 4WD around the east side to the area where there is a swim beach in the river that was dry. Toured the visitors center, and I walked up to Zapata falls that was very low as well. Just a trickle where there is normally a pretty good falls. Wife had the dog and didn't want to walk the trail so she hung out at the parking lot.
Who would have thought that there is an alligator/reptile refuge in that area? It's not far from the dunes. 30 miles or so. We didn't visit this year, but will the next. Geothermal springs keep warm water flowing there for the critters.
http://www.coloradogators.com/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now, I didn't know about the refuge. May have to check that out someday, provided we happen to be in the area. Gators don't command my interest as much as natural scenery.
They do a good service adopting critters that have been abandoned. I have their brochure that talked about a Colorado lady that gave up her western diamondback rattler because of her health. It was not defanged and allowed to roam freely about her home. She said it was a nice pet...... I shudder at the thought if that is actually true. No rodents in the house?

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning gang,
I just got into work. Another long 13 hour day but looking forward to tomorrow and Saturday off. Might try to hit the range for some lead therapy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom