OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Morning, everyone.

Hope y'all are having a better day than we are. Sweetie's helper is sick, and I woke up with a headache that doesn't seem to be improving. Fortunately, our daughter is able to help with Sweetie today (she works for a home health care company in Texas).

Prayers would be much appreciated.
:wave:
___

Hope your day got better ... I spent the day trying to sleep off a brutal headache. It FINALLY broke and I think I'm gonna live. Maybe ...

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope your day got better ... I spent the day trying to sleep off a brutal headache. It FINALLY broke and I think I'm gonna live. Maybe ...
Our day did get better. My headache actually stopped for an hour or so, now it's just sort of coming and going.

And... Sweetie's helper actually called this afternoon and wanted to work this evening, so the daughter didn't have to make aother trip. The helper still sounds like warmed-over death, but said she had no fever and seemed to feel pretty good. Now if I could just kick this headache to the curb... :D

Sincere thanks to everyone for your prayers.
:thumb: :thumb:
___

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our day did get better. My headache actually stopped for an hour or so, now it's just sort of coming and going.

And... Sweetie's helper actually called this afternoon and wanted to work this evening, so the daughter didn't have to make aother trip. The helper still sounds like warmed-over death, but said she had no fever and seemed to feel pretty good. Now if I could just kick this headache to the curb... :D

Sincere thanks to everyone for your prayers.
:thumb: :thumb:
___

I feel ya, dear. Mine's down to a dull roar. I kinda think my upper back fractures don't like this cooler weather.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel ya, dear. Mine's down to a dull roar. I kinda think my upper back fractures don't like this cooler weather.
Yeah, I hear ya. My body especially don't like cold and damp, it makes me get aches in places I forgot I had.

I can only imagine how bad it is in the aftermath of your tree episode. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
:drunk2:
___

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya. My body especially don't like cold and damp, it makes me get aches in places I forgot I had.

I can only imagine how bad it is in the aftermath of your tree episode. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
:drunk2:
___

Yep. I imagine this is gonna be how it is from now on. But ... Things could always be worse so I'll not fuss too much. 😉 I definitely understand how you feel. 😘

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Morning, everyone.

Hope y'all are having a better day than we are. Sweetie's helper is sick, and I woke up with a headache that doesn't seem to be improving. Fortunately, our daughter is able to help with Sweetie today (she works for a home health care company in Texas).

Prayers would be much appreciated.
:wave:
___
Sending prayers Mac. Better days are coming.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I've been slacking...

...I haven't posted images from our tours of Fort Gaines and Fort Morgan. Let's start with Fort Gaines, although both forts were involved in the Battle of Mobile Bay in which David Farragut uttered the phrase, "Damn the torpedoes....."

The periods after "torpedoes" is there because it is questionable as to what Farragut actually said. Most attribute the words to be "Full speed ahead," but others that were "supposedly" there stated that "Damn the torpedoes" was followed by more of a nautical phrase, such as "4 bells," or even "8 bells" referring to some form of speed. I think what causes the issue is that in order to better see what was transpiring during the battle, Farragut supposedly climbed up into the rigging.

Both Fort Gaines and Fort Morgan had batteries that were separate from the main fort. Here is an image of one that is just to the north of Fort Gaines.

Outside the fort, which is primarily masonry.

A view from the Southwest corner of the fort.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A view from the Southeast area of the fort. The part with the rounded top is one of the magazines for powder and projectiles.

One of the "bays" for a disappearing gun.

Inside some of the "storage" areas. I can't recall what each area that I photographed was used for.

Another view of that magazine, and the structure atop the wall in the middle background is the Southwest corner and was some kind of observation point, if I remember right.

More gun emplacements along the wall.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And for those with the "strange" thoughts of such things, here are a couple of images of the fort's latrine. The first image has a sign that explains the "flushing" system.

Who wants the job of cleaning one of these suckers?

The doorway to the left of the magazine area goes to a circular stairway to the top of the wall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom