OSA Deer Donation Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We have many deer hunters on this forum, and many who already donate their deer to programs and many here who simply stop hunting after they harvest what they need for the year, but wouldn't mind hunting still to help others out.. Discussing with some of the others here and the other mods, we're going to make an attempt at providing for those OSA members who are in need.

What I would like to see happen is.........
-any OSA hunters who are willing to donate their harvest, and will be hunting in the upcoming weeks, post up here in this thread if you're willing to donate, and how far you'd be willing to drive to meet someone and the area that you are in.
-as a donating hunter, you'd be willing to get the deer from the field, and possibly meet the recipient within a reasonable distance from their area, or the recipient could do most of the driving and pick it up, after all, the recipient will be receiving a free deer :)
-The donating OSA member needs to be aware of the transfer of carcass procedure.
-Any OSA member in need, please PM me, and I will try to connect you with the hunter that's willing to donate and is in your area.
-Since we are scattered across the state, a reasonable expectation needs to be in place as far as exchanging the deer goes. Everyone has a different definition of "what a long drive" is. I don't mind driving an hour or so to help someone out.............I don't expect any hunter to drive from Woodward to Hugo..............actually, I don't expect any hunter to drive any further than they want to lol. If a recipient wants to drive from Hugo to Woodward for a deer, please drive safe.

What I would not like to see happen is.......
-Someone asking for a deer who might want a little jerky, this is for folks who need food on the table.
-Someone asking for a deer, setting up a meeting place and time and turns out to be a no show.........
-Someone asking for a deer, receives the deer and decides they don't want it and dumps it somewhere(I've seen that happen)
-Expect a deer to be butchered, packaged and delivered

I think this can work, we'll give it a try and see how it goes, I'll post this same thread in the hunting forum, it will be closed for comment, but it will make it visible to those who hunt and they can come here if they wish to help.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Superb idea! I'd be glad to help out. I haven't been deer hunting this year, but I'll durn sure go if there's someone in my area who could use it. I'm in Enid, hunt in Major County, and I hate to set a range 'limit' on driving, but I'd gladly make the trek to someplace like Fairview, Kingfisher, Medford, Perry, etc.

I would plan on making delivery of a field dressed deer, gutted but not skinned, with proof of sex still attached. I assume that would be the expected status???

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the pertinent portion of the ODWC regs regarding transferring a deer carcass to another person. @Jared - please jump in there and let us know if there is something else required.

Possessing Wildlife -
No person may possess any game bird, animal or other wildlife, or portions thereof, that have been taken by another person unless written information giving the taker’s name, address, customer ID number or lifetime license number, date taken and the number and kinds of game birds, animals or other wildlife, is attached to the game birds, animal or other wildlife, or portions thereof. In addition, information on turkey, bear, deer, elk, and antelope must include where game was checked or the online confirmation number. The person’s name and address receiving said wildlife must also appear on the written information. It shall be unlawful for any person to have in their possession any meat, head, hide, or any part of the carcass of any wildlife not legally taken. The keeping of wildlife as pets and the sale of wildlife or parts is strictly controlled by state and federal laws.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another option may be what I do with some of the deer I donate annually.
Some want to process the animal themselves and thats cool. Meet at a reasonable distance.
With a couple of others I drop them off at our local processor in their name with my confirmation number and other required information attached to the animal.
The recipient gets a call when it’s ready from the processor to be picked up.
Works pretty easy that way.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't want a whole deer just want some summer sausage and jerky. I will pay for it.

Or, depending upon the results of my surgery on the 26th, I would gladly volunteer to deliver a deer. Transport from the hunter to the recipient for the sausage and jerky.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another option may be what I do with some of the deer I donate annually.
Some want to process the animal themselves and thats cool. Meet at a reasonable distance.
With a couple of others I drop them off at our local processor in their name with my confirmation number and other required information attached to the animal.
The recipient gets a call when it’s ready from the processor to be picked up.
Works pretty easy that way.

This is exactly what I do. My daughter and I will not shoot a deer unless we have a place for it to go. Our holiday antlerless harvest is already spoken for but I would like to keep this post active for future hunts.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A member already gave me about 10 lbs ground venison this year (and some damn fine pulled pork, thank you again) so I am good, but this is a great idea and I am sure there are members that could use the meat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom