OSA members who own a business

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me know how thorough the classes are. I have run into a couple of home inspectors that really had zero clue. Been framing and remodeling since 95 if you are wondering how I made that judgement, well I do not do much work any more cause my hands no longer do what I want them to do LOL.
The ones I went through are pretty thorough. Theres no replacement for the real deal, but I feel adequately prepared to do my job after completing the classes. I've done a little bit of everything with homes, to include building additions, electrical work, roofing, and in depth renovations. This combined with the classes give me at least something to go off of. I've been considering finding some trade professionals to tail or an experienced inspector to work with for a while, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I seriously looked into getting in the home inspection business a few years back because of my construction background but I'm not built to get on roofs, in attics, or in crawl spaces anymore.
Its definitely not all roses. I look forward to it after 15 years of working on heavy equipment and cranes though.
No disrespect for the the home inspectors here, but for the money you can hire licensed tradesmen to look at HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and structural for not much more. I may be wrong, I’ve inspected the 4 houses I’ve bought for myself. have done HVAC inspections for customers purchasing.
I'm willing to bet that hiring more than 2 tradespeople to look into your home is going to cost more than an inspector. Also, the two most important things when it comes to inspectors vs tradesmen: Neutrality and generalization. With neutrality home inspectors gain nothing or lose nothing by pointing out issues. They are there to inspect, not look for ways to provide you with their services. With generalization the inspector is more or less a storyteller. They will inspect all of your separate home components and systems, but they also tie everything together. I don't know of any roofers that are going to come inside your house and check your walls for water damage because of a bad seal on your roof penetration, or a plumber who would be looking for mold from a repaired leak in your kitchen. Tradesmen are great at what they do (or at least should be), but they don't always look at the big picture of old issues causing new problems, or how all the systems in a house work together. "Not my job" is all too common of a problem within the trades. They're also happy to do inspections because it's how they get jobs.

VTDW1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am considered an artist in wood. Wood art for your home. Distinctive Turnings Dave Williams 405 512-2195
A14D7325-6A02-46F3-9AE9-68B283884E76.jpeg

Attachments

• B4E6A05D-EEF4-4C1B-B57D-84C4BBD5A1EF.jpeg
    B4E6A05D-EEF4-4C1B-B57D-84C4BBD5A1EF.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 35

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ones I went through are pretty thorough. Theres no replacement for the real deal, but I feel adequately prepared to do my job after completing the classes. I've done a little bit of everything with homes, to include building additions, electrical work, roofing, and in depth renovations. This combined with the classes give me at least something to go off of. I've been considering finding some trade professionals to tail or an experienced inspector to work with for a while, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Its definitely not all roses. I look forward to it after 15 years of working on heavy equipment and cranes though.

I'm willing to bet that hiring more than 2 tradespeople to look into your home is going to cost more than an inspector. Also, the two most important things when it comes to inspectors vs tradesmen: Neutrality and generalization. With neutrality home inspectors gain nothing or lose nothing by pointing out issues. They are there to inspect, not look for ways to provide you with their services. With generalization the inspector is more or less a storyteller. They will inspect all of your separate home components and systems, but they also tie everything together. I don't know of any roofers that are going to come inside your house and check your walls for water damage because of a bad seal on your roof penetration, or a plumber who would be looking for mold from a repaired leak in your kitchen. Tradesmen are great at what they do (or at least should be), but they don't always look at the big picture of old issues causing new problems, or how all the systems in a house work together. "Not my job" is all too common of a problem within the trades. They're also happy to do inspections because it's how they get jobs.
You have made some good points.

Shottyshooter90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think this is great, members helping members!

We have a concrete and excavation business. Do a lot of land clearing, storm, construction and environmental cleanup. Cant take on huge pours due to lack of help, but we do a lot of patio's etc. We have excavator's, and skid steers with multiple attachments. Based in Shawnee, but we go all over OK and TX.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am considered an artist in wood. Wood art for your home. Distinctive Turnings Dave Williams 405 512-2195
View attachment 259007
Holy crap that is beautiful. I've been watching lots of youtube videos lately of wood turning. There are some amazing artists out there and you certainly fall into that class.

Latest posts

Top Bottom