OSA Single payer apologists.... get in here...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it's not as simple as packing up and leaving, you know, and abandoning everything you've known, your family and your country, just on the principle of wanting single-payer healthcare.

I tend to agree that we should get rid of and abolish the VA.

Actually, it is. #convictionsmatter :)

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://townhall.com/columnists/bet...lepayer-a-danger-for-cancer-patients-n2432204

Single-Payer A Danger For Cancer Patients

Today, breast cancer kills 39 percent fewer women than 25 years ago. Prostate cancer kills 52 percent fewer men, the American Cancer Society announced last week. You can thank new technologies that detect cancer early and defeat it for many of the lives saved. Americans diagnosed with most types of cancer have better odds of surviving it in the U.S. than anywhere else on the planet.

But watch out. These staggering achievements are at risk. A chorus of Democratic politicians is kicking off 2018 with renewed calls for universal, government-run health care. Leading the pack for single-payer are presidential contenders Senators Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., Cory Booker, D-N.J., and Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.

Single-payer advocates intend to make their scheme affordable by slashing the use of costly medical technology and new drugs. That's a death sentence for many cancer patients. It robs them of what they need to beat their illnesses.

(More at the link above)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = == = = = = = = == = = = ==

One of the commenters below the article makes the best point and that it is the investments made in multiple kinds of research in the US is what has benefited many all over the world. This would be severely curtailed in a single-payer scheme. The article also makes an excellent point about the way politicians claimed the healthcare system was "broken" because of numbers of uninsured yet totally overlooked the statistics quoted at the opening of the article.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've worked in both... both have their ups and downs, their good and bad. Neither system is perfect, and guess what? There ISN'T a perfect system. Anywhere. Nor will there be.

But... what do I know, I'm one of the bad guys, so I'm told.

I thank God every day that I said "**** this ****" ane walked away from clinical that day. Otherwise I'd be neck deep in student loans and trying to figure out how to get through my shift without killing myself.

Maybe I just don't play well with others well enough to be "out in public" on a regular basis. I'd rather believe that between the politics I saw going on amongst hospital staff, the incessant whining and bitching of patients who acted like their ****ing stubbed toe was a life-threatening injury and the unbelievable amount of paperwork I saw the writing on the wall. Whatever it was I will be forever grateful to that woman, whoever she was, for throwing her temper tantrum the day I was in labor and delivery to observe. Jeez Louise! I had a baby at 2 in the afternoon and was back at work at 9 the next morning. I realize I'm not the norm but childbirth is not, in the vast majority of cases, gonna kill you. Jeez ... lol

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Met with a friend today who is/has been getting screwed over repetitively by the system, by her (lawyer) spouse, by insurance/Medicare... and is currently struggling mightily to survive as a physician "outside" the traditional insurance system. They do everything possible to crush you and make it impossible for a physician to work these days without selling out to a big corporation and/or conglomerate to have the resources. I've seen time after time after time where physicians go into this with good intentions, trying to make it on their own, trying to maintain their own identity, their own control of their practice, the ability to focus on treating patients and not on government regs, rules and paperwork - only to see them fail due to the system being stacked against them.

It's pathetic.

You have to be part of a system these days (if not the system), or you just can't survive in medicine. And that is exactly how the .gov wants you... remember that the next time your doctor is frustrated by the red tape they have to deal with.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm reminded that it used to be that I could walk into any doctor's office, plop down $5 or $10 and be treated. Then, along came Ted Kennedy and helped create the HMO/PPO health care system. Then, when everyone got to complaining about that system, Kennedy decided that they needed to "fix" health care (that they messed up), and all that led to Obamacare.

Not to mention that my doctor visits under a HMO plan ended up costing me a $20 copay, and I would still have to wait for a referral to any other doctor, should I so choose to want to go to one.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm reminded that it used to be that I could walk into any doctor's office, plop down $5 or $10 and be treated. Then, along came Ted Kennedy and helped create the HMO/PPO health care system. Then, when everyone got to complaining about that system, Kennedy decided that they needed to "fix" health care (that they messed up), and all that led to Obamacare.

Not to mention that my doctor visits under a HMO plan ended up costing me a $20 copay, and I would still have to wait for a referral to any other doctor, should I so choose to want to go to one.

That's pretty effin' cheap, these days, $20 copay.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty effin' cheap, these days, $20 copay.

Yes sir, it is. The biggest problem I see with the system we have now is corporate hospitals and insurance companies are squeezing health care workers to death. I've seen what gets billed versus what insurance companies and Medicare contract to pay. To tell you the God's honest truth I have no idea how a doctor in a "private" practice can afford to keep the lights on.

Nothing is free. Not even single payer healthcare.

Latest posts

Top Bottom