OSU Football 2019?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya need ta nuzzle up ta Gundy.

106150_0_1_1.jpg

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last season so easily could have been 5-7. This season could be more of the same. I really think OSU has peaked and is probably on the decline after the Boone money infusion. Defense is perennially in the 90s or 100s for overall yards given away. I can only think of one time in last 10 years it was below the 70s. Until that changes and we stop giving up 33 points per game on average there is going to be problems even in the big12.

I am not a fan of Gundy and can't for the life of me figure out why he is the 13 ranked coach in pay. He isn't worth 5mil a year.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Listening to him, as a coach for OSU once, he said that for a coach there, the biggest “issue” for that coach is what is the boys down the road doing. He mentioned this lot as a major factor in the head coaching job at OSU.
This is absolute truth, but not for the reason many think. A head coach at OSU is NEVER going to be able to draw enough top tier players simply due to the location of the college. Used to be they didn't have the facility niceties but thanks to T-Boone they are probably better than 3/4 of the teams in all of the country. It's just simply impossible to recruit ENOUGH top level players there when there is no large metro area anywhere close. Stillwater will never compete with OKC/Norman, DFW, or Austin. Kids don't want to stay stuck in a hayfield for 4 years, they want to chase chicks, go clubbing, see NBA & NFL games too.

If Gundy gets tired of it, and ends up at FL State, or South Carolina, Oregon State or some place like that, mark it down now. He'll win there. Half the college coaches will be growing mullets and wearing shades.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
If Gundy gets tired of it, and ends up at FL State, or South Carolina, Oregon State or some place like that, mark it down now. He'll win there. Half the college coaches will be growing mullets and wearing shades.

Each time he has threatened to leave. I was willing to go to Stillwater and pack up the truck for him for free. I would love to see him take a job somewhere else. I don't think he would fair well at all at another place. As for the facilities there are plenty of places that have had money infusions since Boone spent his cash. I don't think he got a good enough return on his investment. One co-big12 championship and thats it. I am afraid OSU is on the decline. Also I will never be okay with 12-2 vs OU.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Each time he has threatened to leave. I was willing to go to Stillwater and pack up the truck for him for free. I would love to see him take a job somewhere else. I don't think he would fair well at all at another place. As for the facilities there are plenty of places that have had money infusions since Boone spent his cash. I don't think he got a good enough return on his investment. One co-big12 championship and thats it. I am afraid OSU is on the decline. Also I will never be okay with 12-2 vs OU.
I sounds like you simply aren't listening. Gundy is the winningest coach in their history. How do you figure they are on the decline? FYI, I'm an OU homer, but I like Gundy and will pull for the Pokes as long as them winning doesn't damage OU.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
New QB, New OC, New OL coach. But new isn’t bad. Offensively I think OSU will be better but different. Great depth at WR, probably the best RB in the league, and finally an experienced OL. Defensively, it can only stay the same or get better. I think this will be a team that if everything lines up, they can beat anyone in the league, but if anything is off they could lose to anyone in the league.

Should Win:
Oregon State
McK
Tulsa
KU
KSU
Tech
WVU
Baylor
Can Win:
TCU
ISU
Tough win:
OU
UT

I’m guessing 8-4, we lose both “tough wins,” split the “can wins,” and lose to one should win. Thought it would not surprise me if we nabbed Texas again (we have their number) or Bedlam in Stillwater, it also won’t surprise me if we lose multiple teams we should beat. I would be surprised if we went <6-6 or >9-3

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for some of the info. Guess I gotta dig deeper on my searches for info during the preseason. I'm going to disagree on the small town Stillwater never going to be able to recruit big time recruits. I get what you are saying but I really don't think that is the problem or even the top 5 or 10 on the list of OSU winning. Clemson, SC, South Bend, Indiana, and several others aren't exactly sprawling metropolises. While other winning programs aren't in exactly nice or safe locations either.

Poke1911 stated it best when he stated, "I think this will be a team that if everything lines up, they can beat anyone in the league, but if anything is off they could lose to anyone in the league." This couldn't be more true with most OSU football teams the last 10-12 years. It their OL/DL are doing their blocking and tackling duties, the receivers are not dropping the balls, teh defensive backs are getting burned deep and the running backs are hitting the holes and getting around the ends then OSU can be very tought to beat. Unfortunately, OSU has a very bad problem of not playing a complete game as a team from kickoff to the final seconds of the game. Unlike OU, Clemson, Bama, and some others, they can afford to play a ****** game and be able to turn it around enought to win or even afford to lose a game but because of their "reputation" or the conf they play in (SEC) they are given a "break" and the ****** win or loss is easily overlooked near the end of the season.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is absolute truth, but not for the reason many think. A head coach at OSU is NEVER going to be able to draw enough top tier players simply due to the location of the college. Used to be they didn't have the facility niceties but thanks to T-Boone they are probably better than 3/4 of the teams in all of the country. It's just simply impossible to recruit ENOUGH top level players there when there is no large metro area anywhere close. Stillwater will never compete with OKC/Norman, DFW, or Austin. Kids don't want to stay stuck in a hayfield for 4 years, they want to chase chicks, go clubbing, see NBA & NFL games too.

I totally agree, Pat jones even mentioned this thing one time on the air. He said that even when he was coaching, kids want to be able to have more options for life off-campus. Stillwater has a few bars, clubs, and things to do, but when OKC is 10 minutes up the road, it makes a difference. He also said that the board, the sports director and the president one of the first questions to him was, how will you plan to win against OU. It’s hard to get top tier talent at any other school in Oklahoma other an OU, but nowadays it’s hard to get them anywhere unless you are the SEC of the Big 10. Most of the other conference has taken a major step back. Yes the offense is great in the Big 12, but a 300 pound defense lineman doesn’t want to chase around the quarterback or fly to the ball. In the SEC and the Big 10, they line up and hit people.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Each time his name has been mentioned in or around another coaching job, they give me a raise, every time. I don’t know if they are on a decline, but I would say the arrow is not pointed vertical, its more about 12degrees.

IMO, I think that the next team in the Big 12 to start to make a lot of noise will be Texas. I’m not a
Todd Herman fan, but he seems to be a good coach, the players, for the most part, respond well. After he gets the players he wants then I think he will turn UT back into a perennial top 10 team. I think Lincoln will be in the NFL within a few years. Jerry will come a-knocking with the Brinks Truck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom