OU and Texas leaving the Big 12

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meh…sportsballs. They’re both likely to creamed over there, but especially Texas. I grew up around Austin and couldn’t stand OU. But I’ve come to realize OU is way more efficient and effective with the talent they get. Texas dang near does the least with top talent. Pull several top 5 recruiting classes in a row and then generate a 4,5 or even 6 loss season with said classes. Oh well, they can both rot these days with their wokeness.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meh…sportsballs. They’re both likely to creamed over there, but especially Texas. I grew up around Austin and couldn’t stand OU. But I’ve come to realize OU is way more efficient and effective with the talent they get. Texas dang near does the least with top talent. Pull several top 5 recruiting classes in a row and then generate a 4,5 or even 6 loss season with said classes. Oh well, they can both rot these days with their wokeness.

I think there are still some hurdles to this that may keep it from happening. If you were around for the demise of the Southwest Conference in the 90s, you may recall that some didn't want Baylor in the new league and the politically-connected Baptists got Baylor in the new league. Those forces still exist and could yet have their say on the "deal". In OK, you may recall some rumblings several years back on OU going to the PAC-12. Legislative leaders and the Regents put the kibosh to that happening unless OSU was included and I don't think we've heard much from those corners on this "deal". It all may yet happen as the sports mavens say but I'm maintaining my skeptical mindset until more of the political powers have spoken.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
College football is dead to me. OSU caved to that crap last year along with Gundy and all the conferences are taking money from BLM.

I'm done.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all may yet happen as the sports mavens say but I'm maintaining my skeptical mindset until more of the political powers have spoken.
I'm not exactly in favor of it, but this is all about the Benjamins. If we assume the numbers posted above are correct and OU and saxeT are generating half of the Big 12's revenue, but only getting 10% back, that's not going to be a sustainable model--especially if the SEC contracts really are netting Mizzou more than OU is getting from the Big 12.

And if Bowlsby's response was as tone-deaf as I heard, there's virtually no incentive for OU and UT to remain in the Big 12, and plenty of impetus to tell the conference to pound sand. You're not losing any sleep over the idea that your two biggest programs are looking at leaving? Seriously? There likely wouldn't even be a Big 12 today if OU hadn't stepped up with its unwavering support after the Cornshuckers fled to the Big 10 and TAMU slunk off to the SEC. Even if you're certain they're staying, you can't say that stuff out loud...

Latest posts

Top Bottom