OU and Texas to the SEC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas A&M and Missouri are likely no’s. Would only require one more school I believe to nix the idea.

Don’t see the state legislatures not getting involved due to OSU.

I’m against just thinking of OU fans chanting SEC.

Big 12 has been in decline since Texas A&M, Nebraska and Missouri left. It’s only a matter of time before it folds.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OU will want to be in the SEC just for the recruiting. Kids want to go where the action is and these days it's all about the SEC. I also think that OSU just has to go too. Bedlam is just too big to be gone. There will be weeping, gnashing of teeth and riots if we don't have Bedlam and maybe over RRR too.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OU isn't going to the SEC, they couldn't never win a conference title. They can't play a whole season with those big boys. Now as long as they stay in the little 12 they win the conference and then go to a bowl game and have a 50/50 chance of winning. OU fans can't stomach 3-4 loses a year. lol

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the news stations are quoting a story from Houston, that OU and Texas has submitted proposals to move to SEC.

What do you think?
The one thing that makes it seem plausible to me is that neither OU nor Texas have denied it, that I've seen. If there was nothing to it, they would probably have jumped on it pretty quickly. OSU's response was basically, we don't know if it's true but we'll be disappointed if it is.

Isn't there a financial incentive for that?
From what I've read, SEC teams get about $15 million more per year each than OU currently gets from the Big 12. Another fly in the ointment I've read is that OU's athletic director complained about all the 11 am scheduled games, and the Big 12's response was pretty dismissive and that is a driving factor (the 11 am games, not so much the dismissive response. But apparently it angered Joe C.)

Trying to get a better deal out of Fox.
This seems very possible.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Know little about college football but the theory above makes sense that OU doesn't really want to go to another conference but wants more money.

ETA negotiating tactic

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As an OSU fan....I don't think we want any part of the SEC. But we will be along for the ride!
OSU fan here too. And agree, don't want any part of the SEC. If OU and Texas go, I don't see OSU going. More likely we'll stay in a revamped Big 12, or PAC 12. The NIL has really threw a wrench in college football.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk about giving your teams almost a zero chance at going to a National Championship game again. OU and Texas will meet these teams during the regular season every year now, ouch lol.
Texas hasn’t had a chance in years anyways. OU may struggle at first but I think the recruiting effect will definitely help them be very competitive in the SEC.

They would also be in the SEC West, and this would likely force Bama to the East. Not that it will be easy anyways, but that puts the true big dogs from the SEC on the other side of the conference

Latest posts

Top Bottom