OU and Texas to the SEC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, I couldn't really care less. I've lost quite a bit of interest over the last few years, with all of the political BS, etc. Totally lost interest in the pros. And "we"? "They" might get better, but will be a much smaller fish in a much bigger pond. Will be interesting to see how they make out, but with OU's arrogant, a**holish fan base, I'm hoping for the worst. No need to hope for the worst for Texas - they'll be the Nebraska of the SEC.
Spot on, in so many places in that comment, BRAVO sir!

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a born and bred Longhorn, I pray Texas doesn’t go! Hopefully Sarkisian will finally turn them back into at least a competitor. Mack Brown was a great recruiter, but no coach, before he left, along with the billionaire sponsors, they injected a deep rooted cancer, that destroyed the football culture in Austin. It’s funny, but until 2012 or so, I cared little about the OU-Texas game. When A&M left, OU became Texas’ biggest rival. Since then I’ve come to hate them even more than A&M. Anyway, aside from the fantasyland fans, who can’t think realistically, I can’t see the majority of OU fans wanting their team to go either. I can nearly guarantee I’ll find at least a couple of those fans with my comment. They’ll be the ones that refer to OU as “we” or “us”, or use the word “us”, at least with my experience with OU’s fan base. There are several good fans, that live in the real world though. As with most of my buddies that are good fans, we all enjoy the rivalry for what it is, and we have good clean fun at ribbing each other. My go-to with them is I remind them of the overall Texas vs. OU record. That usually ends the laughter at me, lol.

Anyway, the Big 10 would be a much more even fit for both of them. There OU would probably win 30%-40% of the conference titles, maybe 50%+. As long as Nick Saban and eventually Kirby Smart are in the SEC, OU fans would have to accept not winning titles. They would only win 5%, no more than 10% or so titles. Of course some will say that they would settle into the SEC culture and become the top dog. Yes, they would settle in, since their recruiting would go up. The best players want to be in the SEC, since their chance at a ring is realistic. The thing that would hold OU back, is geography. If I was a young stud, 4-5 star, I’d go to Alabama. Anyway, I am 95% positive OU will destroy Texas this year, I leave 4% Texas keeps it within 10, 1% for a Texas winOU has too many returning starters, as well Texas lost too many starters, to give Texas any more of a chance.

All that said, this is the first year in several years where I really don’t think OU is overrated, but I’m sure hoping and praying they turn out to be just smoke and mirrors. As nauseous as it makes me to say, I think this may be the year OU wins it all, depending on Bama and Clemson of course.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas doesn’t have the stones to go on their own, and I’m not sure any respectable conference would want Texas by itself after what they did to the Big 12, but if OU goes to the SEC, OSU will almost certainly be part of the package. If OU and Texas both leave, it’s only a matter of time before the Big 12 folds completely (it was only OU’s commitment to the conference that kept it from folding last time this was rumored), so they’ll have to go somewhere, and I don’t see anyone in Oklahoma wanting to split up that particular rivalry
Texas hasn’t had a chance in years anyways. OU may struggle at first but I think the recruiting effect will definitely help them be very competitive in the SEC.

They would also be in the SEC West, and this would likely force Bama to the East. Not that it will be easy anyways, but that puts the true big dogs from the SEC on the other side of the conference
While you are correct in the recent, even current years, people forget about the Texas culture. People seem oblivious to the history of fads and streaks. Mack Brown left Texas with a cancer, it has devastated the football program. Every team, at every level, at every sport, has had up streaks and down streaks. I’ll agree that right now, Texas can’t excite or worry anyone, fan or not. But, they are and have been the richest program for years. Money excites everyone, some day they will turn it around and be a competitor again, just like some day OU, and even Bama will have some downs. With politics in sports, everything changes, and changes often.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, I couldn't really care less. I've lost quite a bit of interest over the last few years, with all of the political BS, etc. Totally lost interest in the pros. And "we"? "They" might get better, but will be a much smaller fish in a much bigger pond. Will be interesting to see how they make out, but with OU's arrogant, a**holish fan base, I'm hoping for the worst. No need to hope for the worst for Texas - they'll be the Nebraska of the SEC.

"Couldn't care less" but here you are.... "hoping for the worst?"

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a born and bred Longhorn, I pray Texas doesn’t go! Hopefully Sarkisian will finally turn them back into at least a competitor. Mack Brown was a great recruiter, but no coach, before he left, along with the billionaire sponsors, they injected a deep rooted cancer, that destroyed the football culture in Austin. It’s funny, but until 2012 or so, I cared little about the OU-Texas game. When A&M left, OU became Texas’ biggest rival. Since then I’ve come to hate them even more than A&M. Anyway, aside from the fantasyland fans, who can’t think realistically, I can’t see the majority of OU fans wanting their team to go either. I can nearly guarantee I’ll find at least a couple of those fans with my comment. They’ll be the ones that refer to OU as “we” or “us”, or use the word “us”, at least with my experience with OU’s fan base. There are several good fans, that live in the real world though. As with most of my buddies that are good fans, we all enjoy the rivalry for what it is, and we have good clean fun at ribbing each other. My go-to with them is I remind them of the overall Texas vs. OU record. That usually ends the laughter at me, lol.

Anyway, the Big 10 would be a much more even fit for both of them. There OU would probably win 30%-40% of the conference titles, maybe 50%+. As long as Nick Saban and eventually Kirby Smart are in the SEC, OU fans would have to accept not winning titles. They would only win 5%, no more than 10% or so titles. Of course some will say that they would settle into the SEC culture and become the top dog. Yes, they would settle in, since their recruiting would go up. The best players want to be in the SEC, since their chance at a ring is realistic. The thing that would hold OU back, is geography. If I was a young stud, 4-5 star, I’d go to Alabama. Anyway, I am 95% positive OU will destroy Texas this year, I leave 4% Texas keeps it within 10, 1% for a Texas winOU has too many returning starters, as well Texas lost too many starters, to give Texas any more of a chance.

All that said, this is the first year in several years where I really don’t think OU is overrated, but I’m sure hoping and praying they turn out to be just smoke and mirrors. As nauseous as it makes me to say, I think this may be the year OU wins it all, depending on Bama and Clemson of course.

It's absolutely fascinating to see a Texas fan blame Mack Brown for its troubles, then talk about fantasyland fans. Speaking of saying "we".....I lost count of how many Texas fans that would repeat "We're Back!" in the last few years but I guess that's different. I mean.... a majority of this scenario was initiated by Texas' arrogance so long ago, no irony there either for sure. Either way its program troubles definitely have some donor roots to it to say the very least, it will be interesting to see how that plays out moving forward.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it “virtue signaling “ or “wokeness” to post on a thread about how you could not care less?

Since it doesn’t become effective until 2025 season, I suspect everything will work out fine for all of the schools, including OSU. I believe there is significant national interest in both OU and UT that will make the SEC even more profitable for all of the teams. It sounds like the Big 12, now with only 8 teams will be merged into one or more of the smaller conferences. The upcoming season will provide a lot of conversation material. Should be fun.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's absolutely fascinating to see a Texas fan blame Mack Brown for its troubles, then talk about fantasyland fans. Speaking of saying "we".....I lost count of how many Texas fans that would repeat "We're Back!" in the last few years but I guess that's different. I mean.... a majority of this scenario was initiated by Texas' arrogance so long ago, no irony there either for sure. Either way its program troubles definitely have some donor roots to it to say the very least, it will be interesting to see how that plays out moving forward.
Mack Brown definitely started this down slide, I have a feeling he was tired of the donors, and began to not care. I certainly don’t blame him for getting tired of their crap, since my experience with wealthy to rich people has been no less than disgusting. I have no clue what you mean by adding “fantasyland fans” to Mack. My reference to fantasyland fans, is towards the fans who become aggressive, while feeling that anyone outside of Oklahoma feels that there is anything wrong with the program and it’s, umm let’s just say ‘ethics’ LOL. Sounds like I struck a cord with the “we” comment. This comes mostly from the younger generation, but there are some in the older crowd, in my personal experience, I’ve heard it very little outside of OU fans. You’ll definitely never hear many, nor anyone like me, say it. It’s just sad that people live that deep into their fantasy, that they feel the need to refer to another person as themselves, but it is comical. When others said “We’re back!”, you heard that mostly from players and others inside the program. I am a realist, so when that came out, my first thought was, “no, you’re far from it.”. For me, it just started more fun ribbing with my buddies, which consists of joking at each other once or twice, laughing it off, and on to another subject. Some think it’s their job to ‘protect’ OU and it’s many problems. Haha

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Couldn't care less" but here you are.... "hoping for the worst?"
"Couldn't care less" about OU "getting better in the SEC", but "hoping for the worst" so I don't have to listen to overweight, middle-aged men crow about how superior they are, depending on the success of kids - mostly from a state other than theirs, playing football for a college they never went to. I know way too many who apparently base their sense of worth on the success or failure of their favorite football team - some pro, but mostly college. And I'm under no delusions that Alabama, Ohio State, and other fans are just as arrogant, and just as insufferable. At least with Bama or Ohio State fans, I rarely get to see the chest thumping and strutting when they win. It's just a game, folks. And you didn't play in it.

"Is it “virtue signaling “ or “wokeness” to post on a thread about how you could not care less?"

Not what I did. But then, is it "virtue signaling" to call other colleges' and their programs "joke schools"? Wonder how many downs those that dribble scat like that played for the big Crimson and Cream? Or even NSU? Maybe Langston?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know how often you guys talk to people about sports but it is VERY common for fans to use "we" or "us" in reference to their favorite team. VERY common. Ask someone who has just watched their favorite team play a game how it went, and the vast majority of the time the answer you'll hear is either "we won" or "we lost". It's almost universal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom