OU and Texas to the SEC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The new conference, if OU and Texas are accepted, will allow both schools to (1) benefit financially; (2) increase competition quality; (3) widen the recruiting area; (4) offer new bowl opportunities. Apart from those specific football benefits, both schools should see new rivalries created in other sports, which will benefit them as well. On the negative side, with increased competition, both schools should expect some dampening of expectations that might not sit well with each institutions alumni. For fans, you should expect higher ticket fees, and a push for new gear to reflect the change in conferences. When all is said and done, those that will benefit are the schools leadership, coaching staffs, players, and to a less extent the fans.
It over for me. The last vestige of pure sports, even if I was just lying to myself, is gone with the purchasing college players. Like I said. Let the NFL and NBA do a farm league to produce players. I'd rather watch a pickup game than what college sports has become.
And in my opinion only, not a dime made by top tier (or any tier) college sports program paid for anything but promoting and building the college program.
I'd love to see the dime paid from the football gate that supported an advanced calculus instructor. I'm sure more than a few instructors got paid to pass jocks that couldn't spell jock.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It over for me. The last vestige of pure sports, even if I was just lying to myself, is gone with the purchasing college players. Like I said. Let the NFL and NBA do a farm league to produce players. I'd rather watch a pickup game than what college sports has become.
And in my opinion only, not a dime made by top tier (or any tier) college sports program paid for anything but promoting and building the college program.
I'd love to see the dime paid from the football gate that supported an advanced calculus instructor. I'm sure more than a few instructors got paid to pass jocks that couldn't spell jock.
I don't know about other programs, but OU Athletics is self-supporting. So, yeah, the money going into athletics isn't all going back into the university, but the university is also not dumping money into athletics.

That's not to say that the universities aren't getting anything from athletics. Beyond the obvious of the scholarship money from the student athletes (and the tuition of walk-ons) going into the university's coffers (yeah, that's real money, and there are your dimes from the football gate that are going to calculus profs), the prominence of athletics programs help foster connections with the alumni (you know, potential donors), and, believe it or not, it helps with recruiting students, especially the out of state students who pay beaucoup bucks to attend.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd rather watch a pickup game than what college sports has become.
High school football; still fun to watch kids who play for the pure love of the game. Most won't get a scholarship and know it, yet they're out there busting their a*s*es in the heat, in the weight room before school, and getting home late, just so they can line up on Friday nights. That's what it's about.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, I read the part that said "including" Kansas and Kansas State wrong. I just breezed over that part.
The article kind of makes it sound like the Kansas schools are the instigators, and, truth be told, they probably have the most to lose. Iowa State is probably a shoo-in for the Big 10, and Kansas ought to be, as well, but K-State is most likely going to be left holding the bag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom