OU is a BILLION dollars in debt!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Boren wrote SQ 779 that gave millions to higher education. He tried to sell it as a raise for k-12 teachers but the university's were going to get a healthy chunk.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's been talk for several years that Boren was great at getting new buildings built, but they were costing the University too much in expenses to support. The University used to generate their own electricity, heating and cooling for much of the campus, but many of the new buildings could not be added, so they had to start buying utilities.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See above about "separate corporate entity." The university isn't paying coaches anything.

As to donations vs. expenditures, well, there's definitely room to audit the budget. With a meathook.

With the University and the Football Enterprise existing as Separate Corporate Entities, it seems the relationship is similar to a married couple with the same last name living together in the same residence with one earning significant income, the other with a monumental spending problem and budgetary deficit in a class with poorly managed States or Nations while both enjoy the benefits of community property consisting of their home and grounds and its prominent location. Hmmmm......something wrong here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quite the legacy for a liberal politican/Univerisity President. isn't it?

Based on the experience of my kids while students there, I would say that the administration is about 3 times too large. They have bureaucrats to try to cover every possible aspect - so many that they do not effectively work with each other. The student experience is much like the ball in a pinball machine when they must follow numerous false leads and dead ends when there is a problem or a permisiion of some sort is needed. And of course, every bureaucrat has a very nice to opulent office.

The second problem area is the proliferation of new luxury apartments...the term "dorm" hardly applies.

Open the books, OU. I dare you.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A billion in debt? Big deal.

They have over $1.6 Billion in their endowment and a publicly advertised $941 million in annual revenue from state appropriations, tuition, grants, contracts etc...

I think a college full of smart people can figure out how to structure and handle $1 billion in debt within that context....without holding their hand out for more money from the taxpayers.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I think donations for sports are going to drop like a rock from now on. As of Jan.1 this year they are no longer tax deductible. As longtime season football ticket holders my wife and I thought long and hard about what we donate and we gave the same this year but probably not again. Somebody said one of the good things about Oklahoma (and there are a lot) was the Arbuckles...have you seen them lately? Wind towers EVERYWHERE!

Latest posts

Top Bottom