OU President Gallogly to Retire after Less than One Year

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He stirred the water so hard that he received a lot of flak and a lot was unwarranted so he took the better choice. Sometimes it's easier to retire than to put up with all the crap.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was announced earlier today...
https://newsok.com/article/5631228/sources-james-l.-gallogly-to-resign-as-ou-president

Apparently, according to this link, relations between Gallogly and previous OU President Davide Boren are less than good.
https://www.normantranscript.com/ne...cle_b88f7ac6-fd84-11e8-87bf-9fde9c852062.html

I'm not surprised. I worked in Higher Ed after retiring from the Marine Corps (talk about a group of ONE) and retired as the VP of Student Services at Redlands Community College started to be realized.on 6 years ago now. I know that David Boren still wields a lot of power and significant influence in Oklahoma. (Like...where some of the bodies are buried kind of stuff maybe?) Anyway, when James Gallogly came on as his replacement, he quickly brought to light the extravagances of Boren and Co. and their lavish spending, and how much in debt the University was. He also cleaned house on a bunch of overpaid file clerks who were apparently masquerading as real VPs and Associate VPs and such, but they were sure drawing fat paychecks for little work towards student success it may seem. I'm sure he quite vigorously stirred the muddy waters that may have been Boren's personal swamp for some 24 years, and now, with Boren and one of his "butty's", Tripp Hall, being investigated for trying to diddle boys, the schizz has hit the fan down at OU. So...Smart move on Gallogly's part? Methinks he just might have been made an offer he couldn't refuse?
I think he realized he couldn't drain the swamp and he was going under with it. OU is corrupt, higher education is corrupt.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think he realized he couldn't drain the swamp and he was going under with it. OU is corrupt, higher education is corrupt.

Now now, don’t paint all of Higher Ed with the same brush. I wasn’t corrupt and I know a bunch who weren’t either. But I admit, some are. Kind of reminds me of the government in many ways...good apples and bad apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like him. He did accomplish quite a bit, and probably had several other improvements in mind.
He might've done some good, but he did a lot of it in a really, seriously, ****** manner, and hurt quite a few good people in his bloodletting (and I'm not talking about the VPs he shitcanned; I know some of the people who were unceremoniously shown the door after dedicating most of their adult lives to serving the University).

I think Boren was a mixed bag as President, but I'm not sure Gallogly was any better.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn’t say. I do feel that the best job to step into is one that’s been mishandled or poorly done; that way, whatever you do actually do is probably going to be an improvement. Gallogly was talked into coming out of retirement to be the Prez at OU. I suspect that they really needed a one-time budget overhaul and he did do that. I also suspect he just didn’t feel like screwing with it all anymore. He’s already flush as far as having money, why not tell ‘em all to go pound sand and just go play golf? Can’t blame him if that’s the deal.
You may be correct, he was brought out to be the hit man, but by who?
I have never understood the mentality of the above bolded part. Is it a power trip? I see so many people that have so much money that they can never squander it all, yet continue to work while there is so much fun in this world to experience without the noose of a job around your neck.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may be correct, he was brought out to be the hit man, but by who?
I have never understood the mentality of the above bolded part. Is it a power trip? I see so many people that have so much money that they can never squander it all, yet continue to work while there is so much fun in this world to experience without the noose of a job around your neck.
Some people just like to work, for whatever reason(s)... besides money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom