OU vs West Virginia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a documentary on college football, about the bagmen or money guys who would drop bags of cash to gain new recruits, then keep dropping cash to keep them during the season, NCAA turns a blind eye to the big schools doing this but if some small podunk team starts winning too many recruits or games the NCAA knows they can find cash violations and do, example Jimmy Johnson at OSU most of his players had shiny new cars OSU busted but at the same time I bet he still didn't have the cash to compete with bigger schools that didn't get busted, guess the pay deal is all different now?
I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable on this, but it appears to me that the main difference is that the money is now out in the light.

Seems like it would create some awkwardness in the locker room. Got the guys on the offensive line for example, that aren't household names. They aren't getting the cars that a Rattler is getting. So, they think to self, Rattler isn't a star without us, but we scrape by while he tweets pics of his new cars and trucks. Hmm.

VarmintHunter59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately (sort of) I have stopped watching sports for all the political reasons. I loved watching OU Football. Kind of miss it, but... I even had a son playing Major League Baseball. Seemed I missed his last stint with the Atlanta Braves. But if you commit to something you commit to it.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
They should have a fancy car that passes around to the player of the game. If you have a poor performance you get a Huffy for the week.
A dream I know but they should play and get a scholarship only. I know money has always been involved whether above or beneath the table. If you can play a game you get rich but if you actually go to school to learn something you have to scrape by. I realize many athletes are also there to learn something but others have absolutely no interest in anything but sports and how much they can make. It’s a racket and always has been.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend that was a 3rd string LB for a big name college. He was married and lived in a small frame home. An assisstant coach told him he and his wife should go to churnch on Wednesday nights. He said we really aren't into the whole "church" thing, coach just try it one time so he did.
When they got home there were 4 bags of groceries on the back porch, and every Wednesday night thereafter until he left school.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Part of Rattler's problem is his inability/lack of desire to run. I've seen multiple plays where the receivers are covered, and he has 10-15 yards of open field in front of him and he won't just take off. Baker, Kyler and Jalen were all dual threat QBs, which takes some of the heat off of your receivers.
His NIL isnt really worth much so fat , I would better this is some buyers remorse in Norman right now

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A dream I know but they should play and get a scholarship only. I know money has always been involved whether above or beneath the table. If you can play a game you get rich but if you actually go to school to learn something you have to scrape by. I realize many athletes are also there to learn something but others have absolutely no interest in anything but sports and how much they can make. It’s a racket and always has been.
I mostly agree. My post was mostly in sarcasm.

Lot to think about.
Younger kid sports, many frown on the trophies for everybody.
Real life is opposite of this without handouts and welfare programs.

Range Plunker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Sooners and Rattler were thought to be the next National Champion, and Heisman Winner respectively. Based on the season so far, it appears the PR section of the Athletic Department got ahead of what the team is able to accomplish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom