OU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The TCU twitter trolling is strong.

OU issue is defense, it’s awful.
Yeah, this is not the defense we expected especially after how they looked after the first three nobodies

The offense wasn't good yesterday either. Gabriel was having trouble making accurate passes. And when he did, receivers were having trouble catching it.

So... the season is pretty much over in terms of big accomplishments, there won't be any playoff consideration or conference championship game. It's just watch week-to-week and hope they do well and improve, and hope for a decent bowl game. Recruiting has been good so far, so I believe they'll get better but it's going to take Venables a little time. The pre-season optimism was obviously not cautious enough.

I was neither as optimistic as some, nor am I as pessimistic as some are now... OU will win some games. But unless they find some answers quick, they'll lose some more too. This may be Texas and OSU's year to take advantage.

A lot of injuries yesterday. I hope everyone recovers quickly and no serious damage.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s been a lot of hyperbole today coming from some understandable frustration. But many of these rants are simply not true or at best way overstated.

I’ve been a fan for 50+ years and OU has never lost this bad.
- In 1997 in 3 consecutive weeks OU lost to Nebraska 69-7, OSU 30-7, and then to A&M 51-7, dropping their season record to 3-7.

OU will drop out of the Top 25 for the first time in who knows how long.
- In 2020, OU lost 2 of their first 3 games to start 1-2. They fell all the way from #3 to unranked in just two weeks.

Jeff Lebby chose Dillon Gabriel over better QBs that would have OU in a better position.
- Dillon Gabriel was the highest rates QB in the transfer portal available to OU. Gabriel was ranked 6th coming into the season to win the Heisman trophy. He may not be a home run transfer, but he was likely the best possible hope for OU who had lost their entire QB depth chart. If Lebby missed, so did everyone else who was evaluating talent.

Venables et al. have to coach better.
- Venables inherited a team where 11 players with eligibility remaining left for the NFL draft and 12 players transferred out (including the starting QB and top WR). The coaches were hired two weeks before early signing day and have not even had one year to get players accustomed to their systems.

Nick Saban’s first year at Alabama 7-6
Bob Stoops’ first year at OU 7-5
Dabo Swinney’s first year at Clemson 4-3
Kirby Smart’s first year at Georgia 8-5

OU should have gone after a proven head coach.
- Bud Wilkinson - assistant coach
Barry Switzer - assistant coach
Bob Stoops - assistant coach

The truth is the coaches inherited a program reeling from a blindside. A program that lost an enormous chunk of the team including the leaders on both offense and defense. Most coaches need 2-3 years to get the players they need to run their schemes, and it takes more than one off season to grasp new systems.

OU has some great players who will play in the NFL, but they are also starting guys who are in there because they are the best option. The games the last two weeks have been awful to watch, but if you think your insight is pointing to something the coaches and players don’t know, that’s pretty narcissistic. The team and fans know what’s wrong. The team just need time and support to get things righted. No one needs support when things are going right. It’s when things are going wrong you find out who really has your back.
Pretty much all coaches were assistant's somewhere

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much all coaches were assistant's somewhere
Well written and accurate. However the SEC is just around the corner. Things will change night and day competing for that level of athletes on a weekly basis. The SEC thing was a bad decision like or not for both those teams. It’s going to take a lot longer to recover because of that than people may think. Regardless of what you think of Venables he is facing programs that can put 11 starters on the field that are all paid far more than OU can ever pay them. THAT is scary.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The difference in how much money each SEC team gets compared to how much money each Big 12 team gets is what is scary.

I've said this all along... OU will be competitive in the SEC. They won't win six conference championships in a row, but they will compete. To whatever extent money is a factor, they'll have a lot more of it. And competition with SEC will make them more competitive if/when they do make the playoffs than competition in the Big 12. And recruiting will probably be easier. But... whereas 1-2 losses is a horrible season now, fans may have to adjust to that being more average.

Was it a mistake? I dunno... I don't tend to think in those terms because I don't have any choice anyway, so I'll wait and see how it works out. Recovery? The recovery is immediate, estimates are that OU/Texas will receive about $15 million more the first year they are in the SEC. And let's face it, it's ultimately about money for those who make the decisions.

P.S. OU's record against SEC teams is actually pretty good, the SEC is very top-heavy.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The difference in how much money each SEC team gets compared to how much money each Big 12 team gets is what is scary.

I've said this all along... OU will be competitive in the SEC. They won't win six conference championships in a row, but they will compete. To whatever extent money is a factor, they'll have a lot more of it. And competition with SEC will make them more competitive if/when they do make the playoffs than competition in the Big 12. And recruiting will probably be easier. But... whereas 1-2 losses is a horrible season now, fans may have to adjust to that being more average.

Was it a mistake? I dunno... I don't tend to think in those terms because I don't have any choice anyway, so I'll wait and see how it works out. Recovery? The recovery is immediate, estimates are that OU/Texas will receive about $15 million more the first year they are in the SEC. And let's face it, it's ultimately about money for those who make the decisions.

P.S. OU's record against SEC teams is actually pretty good, the SEC is very top-heavy.

You get it.

I'd like to add that TCU..... OSU...... or any of the other haters would jump in a second to go to the SEC.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Honest question. Do you think recruits are more likely to go to a lesser SEC team, or a better PAC, B12, B10 team? I'm sure any player that gets a Alabama, Georgia offer will jump on it, but what about those that get a Vanderbilt or South Carolina offer vs a Ohio State, Michigan State, USC, etc offer. Will be interesting to see how all this shakes down over the next few years.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honest question. Do you think recruits are more likely to go to a lesser SEC team, or a better PAC, B12, B10 team? I'm sure any player that gets a Alabama, Georgia offer will jump on it, but what about those that get a Vanderbilt or South Carolina offer vs a Ohio State, Michigan State, USC, etc offer. Will be interesting to see how all this shakes down over the next few years.

I would imagine that the coaching staff, history of the school and NIL would all play a factor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom