Out of State LEO looking for shootin qualification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I understand the question correctly, I believe he might be a retired looking to do his requalification as required under the LEOSA.

I believe Big Boys occasionally has a class or event to do this. I would suggest calling them and asking. If they are not sure what you are talking about, ask them if they can have Tom or Bryan call you back for more info. One of those two should be able to at least point him in the correct direction.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He might be looking to meet LEOSA requirements.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/leosa/

The problem is that some states choose to not recognize LEOSA as intended.

I am LEOSA eligible, but found it far simpler to just get an OK Concealed Carry permit. Having a OK permit makes it easier to carry outside OK.

LEOSA and OK Law have differing restrictions about where you can carry nd where you can not.

States issue unique ID concealed carry cards. LEOSA requires Agency issued Retired Credentials and qualification cards issued by the qualifying agency and state. There is no consistency in their form. And difficult to verify.

My former agency by written policy prohibits my Agency from qualifying me for LEOSA. LEOSA requires shooting the State defined police officers qualification course in which the retired Officer lives, and have a card stating that they have qualified. Card is good for one year.

LEOSA does not Identify who gives the qualification course and who issues the card.

Here is a press release on LEOSA Act reform bill that address some of the conflicts in LEOSA. Read this and you will start to see why it is far easier for a Retired Law Enforcement Officer to get a concealed carry permit.

https://fop.net/CmsDocument/Doc/HR 1156 LEOSA.pdf

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I copied this from the CLEET website in 2019. The link for it isn’t there now, but this is supposed to be a format for a card to be issued to officers in Oklahoma.

Firearms Requalification Certificate

This is to certify that _______________________,successfully completed annual handgun firearms requalification on ___________________ and is therefore in compliance with the requirements established by Administrative Rules 390:27-1-1 through 390:27-1-6 of the Oklahoma Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training. The bearer of this card who also satisfies all other requirements of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 (H.R. 218) may be authorized to carry concealed firearms subject to the authority of the act.

Instructor Signature Certification Number

Date

Agency or Administrator Certifying Instructor

1stPersonSafety

Marksman
Reaction score
My understanding of LEOSA is that retired federal agents may qualify by shooting their agency's qual course or the qual course of the jurisdiction in which they reside. Getting "qualified" is not the big hurdle. As someone else pointed out, getting the required ID is the problem as some agencies simply will not issue them.

Broncos

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He might be looking to meet LEOSA requirements.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/leosa/

The problem is that some states choose to not recognize LEOSA as intended.

I am LEOSA eligible, but found it far simpler to just get an OK Concealed Carry permit. Having a OK permit makes it easier to carry outside OK.

LEOSA and OK Law have differing restrictions about where you can carry nd where you can not.

States issue unique ID concealed carry cards. LEOSA requires Agency issued Retired Credentials and qualification cards issued by the qualifying agency and state. There is no consistency in their form. And difficult to verify.

My former agency by written policy prohibits my Agency from qualifying me for LEOSA. LEOSA requires shooting the State defined police officers qualification course in which the retired Officer lives, and have a card stating that they have qualified. Card is good for one year.

LEOSA does not Identify who gives the qualification course and who issues the card.

Here is a press release on LEOSA Act reform bill that address some of the conflicts in LEOSA. Read this and you will start to see why it is far easier for a Retired Law Enforcement Officer to get a concealed carry permit.

https://fop.net/CmsDocument/Doc/HR 1156 LEOSA.pdf
Thank you Hope to do that soon

Latest posts

Top Bottom