Out of State License Purchasing Laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FckCA

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm a college student from CA living/working in Tulsa for the summer. I've been going to an indoor range 1-3x a week after work and on weekends. I wasn't sure of the laws out here or where I'd be staying, so I left my firearms at home. I've been renting pistols each time, and the rental fees and range ammo prices are starting to add up. I realized it might make sense to buy something so I don't have to keep paying to rent. I figured that anything I buy here may not be allowed to come back with me at the end of the summer (due to strict gun laws and stricter importing laws in California). I want to know if there is a legal way for me to buy a pistol for a few months (with a CA license) and possibly be able to sell it before I leave. Would any shop sell to me even with my out-of-state license? Would I run into trouble selling if I did buy a gun, say at a gun show? Also, would a FFL be able to ship a gun to CA if I wanted to keep it?

UPDATE: I went to buy a Remington rifle @ Gander Mtn (bolt action 4 round mag, .243 Win) which would seemingly not be a problem to buy. Nothing about this rifle is illegal in any state.

As it turns out, I can't buy any firearm at all without being a resident. Well, I technically can, but I can't walk out of a store with any kind of firearm. The only method I would be able to buy one is by shipping said firearm from an OK FFL to a CA FFL and paying all the fees and jumping through all the CA red tape, paperwork and other ********.

Last edited:

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a college student from CA living/working in Tulsa for the summer. I've been going to an indoor range 1-3x a week after work and on weekends. I wasn't sure of the laws out here or where I'd be staying, so I left my firearms at home. I've been renting pistols each time, and the rental fees and range ammo prices are starting to add up. I realized it might make sense to buy something so I don't have to keep paying to rent. I figured that anything I buy here may not be allowed to come back with me at the end of the summer (due to strict gun laws and stricter importing laws in California). I want to know if there is a legal way for me to buy a pistol for a few months (with a CA license) and possibly be able to sell it before I leave. Would any shop sell to me even with my out-of-state license? Would I run into trouble selling if I did buy a gun, say at a gun show? Also, would a FFL be able to ship a gun to CA if I wanted to keep it?

You don't need a license to buy any gun in Oklahoma, unless it is regulated by the feds(machine guns, SBRs etc)

There aren't nearly as many restrictions in Oklahoma as in the people's republic of California.

You can simply go into a gun shop, sign the transfer paperwork and walk out with it. no licensing required, as long as you aren't otherwise prohibited(felony, etc.) No wait times, no magazine restrictions, no assault weapons laws etc.

You can sell the gun at anytime, without a license or FFL. They won't even ask for your 'license'. you don't need a license in Oklahoma to buy a gun.
Just list it on Armslist.com
you'll sell it pretty quickly no doubt.

If you want to take your gun out of state, the only thing stopping you from doing that are California's own draconian laws. You'd have to call the California department of justice to find out the specifics. From what i can tell, it depends on what gun you want to import into California. 'assault weapons' are a no-no.

If your pistol is on the Government Approved List of handguns, you can import it from what i can tell. All guns must be registered with the State within 60 days of importation.

http://www.gunlaw.com/gun-law-articles/6-importing-firearms-into-california.html

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/i...h_firearms#Bring_your_guns_when_you_move_here

You can buy magazines as large as you want here in Oklahoma, but anything holding more than 10 rounds won't be able to go back to California with you.

if you're talking about a carrying license, all licenses to carry are recognized in Oklahoma, as long as you carry per Oklahoma Self-defense act law.

Last edited:

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, if you wanted, you could take your California guns to Oklahoma. There are no importation/Licensing/registration laws in Oklahoma, and if the gun is legal in California, it's definitely legal in Oklahoma.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You cannot buy a hand gun, being from any other state and walk out the door with it. A FFL can only ship the gun to another FFL in your state of residence.

You can buy any long and walk out, BUT, being from California, you still have to go through the same nut role as if you were home. For that reason, Most FFLs wont even bother to sell you a gun.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You cannot buy a hand gun, being from any other state and walk out the door with it. A FFL can only ship the gun to another FFL in your state of residence.

You can buy any long and walk out, BUT, being from California, you still have to go through the same nut role as if you were home. For that reason, Most FFLs wont even bother to sell you a gun.

??

out of state folks can't buy hand guns?

hmm, i just looked it up.

A federal law i have never heard of...

Does that mean he has to register his guns or needs a license in his home state?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
??

Does that mean he has to register his guns or needs a license in his home state?
They can buy a hand gun, however, the FFL must ship to a FFL in the buyers home state. The buyer cannot fill out a 4473 where he is buying the gun and go out the door with it.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i1285.photobucket.com_albums_a589_caojyn_A0E91F4D_E37A_48A9_A5E5_728FE6D07034_zpsg1ok1nxa.jpg

Last edited:

FckCA

New to the site!
Reaction score
They can buy a hand gun, however, the FFL must ship to a FFL in the buyers home state. The buyer cannot fill out a 4473 where he is buying the gun and go out the door with it.

That's sad. I hate trying to own guns in my state and it's only getting worse. I tried to buy a gun from AZ but it turns out it was banned by name (XDm .45 banned by name because Springfield decided not to make a CA version of their new firearms). I'm moving out once i graduate.

Would private party transfers be affected? Aka, could I buy from a friend/coworker/gun show, etc.? If I did that, would there be any way to ship whatever I bought to CA for a legal transfer?

FckCA

New to the site!
Reaction score
??

@tristanjay I do have to register all my guns with CA, including Private party transfers and even family transfers. It's automatic and takes place during the 10 day waiting period along with the background check. A wastes of taxpayer $$ if you ask me...

Latest posts

Top Bottom