Out of State License Purchasing Laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could California just have one of his guns shipped to him in Okla? Or if he was in california could he ship it to him self in Okla?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you cannot legally buy a hand gun in Oklahoma if you are not a resident of Oklahoma without having it shipped to an FFL in your home state, dealer or private sale.
My reply was in general terms; yours is in specific terms for a CA resident wishing to buy a handgun
not true, it has to be shipped to an FFL in his home state.
My comment is correct as I was speaking in general terms. For the specific gentleman who is a CA resident your reply is correct.

FckCA

New to the site!
Reaction score
UPDATE: I went to buy a Remington rifle @ Gander Mtn (bolt action 4 round mag, .243 Win) which would seemingly not be a problem to buy. Nothing about this rifle is illegal in any state.

As it turns out, I can't buy any firearm at all without being a resident. Well, I technically can, but I can't walk out of a store with any kind of firearm. The only method I would be able to buy one is by shipping said firearm from an OK FFL to a CA FFL and paying all the fees and jumping through all the CA red tape, paperwork and other ********.

T

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UPDATE: I went to buy a Remington rifle @ Gander Mtn (bolt action 4 round mag, .243 Win) which would seemingly not be a problem to buy. Nothing about this rifle is illegal in any state.

As it turns out, I can't buy any firearm at all without being a resident. Well, I technically can, but I can't walk out of a store with any kind of firearm. The only method I would be able to buy one is by shipping said firearm from an OK FFL to a CA FFL and paying all the fees and jumping through all the CA red tape, paperwork and other ********.

T
Unless that's a California state law, the dealer is just trying to protect himself by not running afoul of California (which we all know has some goofy gun laws).

When you're ready to move to America, we'll be glad to have you.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State?
Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser’s State of residence and the licensee’s State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

Last Reviewed September 23, 2016
How may an unlicensed person receive a firearm in his or her State that he or she purchased from an out–of–State source?
An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

Latest posts

Top Bottom