Outboard Motor Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was hoping to get the input of y'all as several of you have owned boats for much longer than I. Last duck season, I noticed my outboard starting to "slip" out of gear at full throttle only in forward gear. It would only happen every now and then, but it's gotten much more frequent since, to the point where I can't really push past 3/4 throttle without the "slip" happening every 10-15 seconds.

I pulled my lower unit off to investigate. The lower unit oil was fine and I inspected it quite well while cleaning it off my workbench and floor (managed to forget about the oil at just the wrong time and dumped it over).

The forward gear and drive gear seem fine, with no obvious rounding of the teeth, so, what should I be looking at for the issue? Attaching pics below.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forward gear, drive gear, reverse gear and middle drive shaft.
9d1479b02ff7023431e9bc40ad978aa0.jpg
b8d34b0b5154d34416f9c76c469752e9.jpg
788781e6394c86ab746c94658cfab75d.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^ yes.
I'm assuming this shifts from a control handle mounted on the boat, and not a shifter mounted right on the motor?
My 10 Hp Johnson did the same thing, but it was a shifter mounted on the motor.
There was a rod inside that did the shifting. Rotated it 180 degrees, and the issue went away.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't take much adjustment. Barely move the lever forward, with the motor off, and then try to spin the prop. See if it's engaged. Can try both forward and backward. Forward usually gets loose because the cable stretches.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wild. I hadn't even considered a stretched or improperly tightened shift cable.

Dennis, correct. This is a middle console throttle and steering assembly.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those gears look perfectly normal. If they were "slipping" there would be damage. Definitely cable out of adjustment or something causing them to not engage. In your 2nd pic, is that a sort of clutch on that shaft?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those gears look perfectly normal. If they were "slipping" there would be damage. Definitely cable out of adjustment or something causing them to not engage. In your 2nd pic, is that a sort of clutch on that shaft?
The second pic is the drive shaft gear. The third pic is the reverse gear and clutch dog. The clutch only has one tooth that has any wear visible, for the forward gear portion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom