Outboard Motor Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The second pic is the drive shaft gear. The third pic is the reverse gear and clutch dog. The clutch only has one tooth that has any wear visible, for the forward gear portion.

My bad, I should have said 3rd pic.

The only thing I can tell you is what happened with the last boat I had, it had a 55HP Johnson which was electric shift. It had solenoids and if one got weak the power would push it out and disengage (for the lack of a better way of explaining it). The reverse solenoid did this once when I was unloading from the trailer. It didn't hurt the gears at all, it was a engaged/not engaged proposition with no in-between.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it really slipping out of gear or is the prop slipping on the hub?

After seeing the gear teeth and lack of damage/wear, that was my next idea, before hearing about the throttle cable idea. I don't have an extra prop to test with. The guy I bought the boat from said he added the prop new, last year between january/march. It's a solas prop, if that makes a difference...I heard there's a way to mark the prop to tell if it's slipping on the hub, but need to look into it more. I'm thinking the prop hub idea makes the most sense right now, though I'll be trying the throttle idea first, as it's the cheapest/easiest fix.

Edward yarchenko

New to the site!
Reaction score
I was hoping to get the input of y'all as several of you have owned boats for much longer than I. Last duck season, I noticed my outboard starting to "slip" out of gear at full throttle only in forward gear. It would only happen every now and then, but it's gotten much more frequent since, to the point where I can't really push past 3/4 throttle without the "slip" happening every 10-15 seconds.

I pulled my lower unit off to investigate. The lower unit oil was fine and I inspected it quite well while cleaning it off my workbench and floor (managed to forget about the oil at just the wrong time and dumped it over).

The forward gear and drive gear seem fine, with no obvious rounding of the teeth, so, what should I be looking at for the issue? Attaching pics below.
Hello, Im a life long boater and Im guessing your problem may be with the shift cable adjustment "or" the shift linkage at the motor end make sure when your shift lever is in foreward that the shift belcrank is fully into engage position.

Latest posts

Top Bottom