Outboard Motor Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If all else fails, you could come up to Ponca with your boat and we could fish Kaw Lake in my boat while testing yours.
I have a 20hp merc on a smaller boat. We could try swapping props to see if it fixes your problem. I'd have to check, but think the output splines are the same.

Heck, even if I'm not having issues with the boat, that'd be fun. Likely the prop would fit.

It's not a shifter problem. More likely the prop.
A lower than normal prop can wash out like you describe or being an aftermarket it may need rebuilt or replaced.
I'll post what the tech has to say asap tomorrow.
If it's the prop go to Boat City Prop Shop 832 SE 44th in OKC.

Thank you, DFX. Sounds good to me.

Based on the fact it happens during a turn I would guess possible cavitation. Try lowering the trim pin one notch as I assume it doesn't have power trim.

I considered this, but haven't made a change. The boat had been running fine on the current trim selection, so I hadn't changed it. I'll give it a shot when I get a new prop (or mine fixed) on, to test.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't checked off the cost to get the hub repacked or replaced on my current prop. I think I'm going to just order a new prop with the original angle of 11 degrees instead of the 9.5 I have.

I'm looking at just going with a mercury black diamond (about $95) as I don't feel I need a high performance prop on a 25hp motor. Any reason to consider a different make?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tremendous experience at the prop shop today. Got a new prop for $80 and he cupped my current prop too. Told me too test them both and if the new prop doesn't fox the issue, to bring it back. Hopefully I can test it in the next few days.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tremendous experience at the prop shop today. Got a new prop for $80 and he cupped my current prop too. Told me too test them both and if the new prop doesn't fox the issue, to bring it back. Hopefully I can test it in the next few days.

Great customer service there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom