• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Outdoor OTA TV Antenna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
90% of what we watch anymore comes of the internet via a roku machine.
My antenna is some big name but it's kind of directional and I hate going outside and turning it to catch the RSU channels.
There's so much on the roku. I even get NTD/Epoch tv.
Don't miss cable one bit.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share any photos and any deviations/issues you run into. Thanks!

This was a fun project. The antenna works GREAT. with the smaller one I had from Amazon I could not get channel 5 only 4&9 along with a total of 42 channels. With this one I picked up 5 along with 68 other channels.

Danny was a hoot to watch on his YouTube instructions. He has several versions and I ended up kind of combining stuff due to what was available. The PVC pipe was more available than the rectangle stuff he used in some of the videos. I had to watch several to get different measurements that he seemed to leave out of one or another video. I’ll be making another for my off grid cabin. Feel free to contact me for any info if you want to do as I did dimensions are critical. if using the 3/4" PVC schedule 40 pipe as did I...the pipe length between the Ts is 8 3/8" that will result in the 9.5" needed for the "whiskers' spacing. The other dimension I had to look for was 1.25" between the 2-30" copper wires. Copper wire is EXPENSIVE. use the 10 ga. solid copper ground wire. The reflector I used was 1" squares wire ( Danny used 1X2 ) Everything I used was available at Lowes.

Attachments

• 24A1253C-F48E-45EA-853D-4D7488BC6C2E.jpeg
    24A1253C-F48E-45EA-853D-4D7488BC6C2E.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • ED785600-FD6C-4F64-9E5D-9AF6FB9D7E20.jpeg
    ED785600-FD6C-4F64-9E5D-9AF6FB9D7E20.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it was fun in the making of it wasn't it? A little bit of revenge to COX and DISH is a bonus.
Yep. Here at home we booted Cox years ago. Use OEC fiber for internet ($85/month) and Hulu which keeps increasing as Cox did. So we are contemplating dropping Hulu. Can get most shows we like via internet and on the antenna. For the off grid cabin until now there was no TV. That’s Ok but it is nice to pull in some weather now. I was surprised to learn our 26” LED TV only uses 50 watts. Compared to 500 for the Mr Coffee.

Last edited:

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This simple antenna out performed a standard 100 mile VHF antenna with multiple radials positioned 5 miles N. of Stillwater. I have built several for my friends and they love and too brag on performance. It is a multi-directional antenna but does have some minor directional attributes when you play with it. It works great for my camper, buddy's house, another buddy's barn and has been used from my vehicle to watch games at lunch when deer hunting. No prickley points or protrusions for portability and is much more simple to build than other antennas. Add a signal amplifier/booster and get 60 mile plus performance. Homemade TV Antenna

Latest posts

Top Bottom