• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Outdoor OTA TV Antenna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is there really such a thing as a high end OTA antenna these days? It's all digital signals and then you can get amplified units, but doesn't it boil down to how close you are to the broadcast?

T-Dog

DPT 3c 89-93 - Desert Storm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is there really such a thing as a high end OTA antenna these days? It's all digital signals and then you can get amplified units, but doesn't it boil down to how close you are to the broadcast?
Yes thats still a thing, OTA will always be a radio wave just digitally encoded.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Yes thats still a thing, OTA will always be a radio wave just digitally encoded.
I live straight west of all three stations and I get great reception 98% of the time with my home made antenna in the attic.
home made antenna 1.jpg
home made antenna 2.jpg
home made antenna 3.jpg
home made antenna 4.jpg
home made antenna 5.jpg
home made antenna 6.jpg
home made antenna 7.jpg

PVC, screws and washers, coat hangers and 300 OHM antenna wire. Pay no attention to the dish, I tried it to boost a signal from Edmond but it didn't work. Haven't found a place to store it so it is still there.

If you want the dimensions and measurements of the antenna elements, I'll see if I can find the article I used.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Look on EBAY HD tv 30 bucks or so I have one gets about 40 channels . I am South of Tuttle. mounted low enough I can stand on the ground & touch it. its not very ruggd have some of the loops broke off but still works good. I would look at the round one .

Attachments

• IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I live straight west of all three stations and I get great reception 98% of the time with my home made antenna in the attic. View attachment 346095View attachment 346096View attachment 346097View attachment 346098View attachment 346099View attachment 346100View attachment 346101

PVC, screws and washers, coat hangers and 300 OHM antenna wire. Pay no attention to the dish, I tried it to boost a signal from Edmond but it didn't work. Haven't found a place to store it so it is still there.

If you want the dimensions and measurements of the antenna elements, I'll see if I can find the article I used.
I am very interested. Please include me if you find the article.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I have looked and looked but I cannot for the life of me find the article I used to make mine.

Here is one I would use if I made one now for outdoors.

I can tell you one thing. Follow the dimensions and keep the wires as straight as possible and keep the distances as accurate as possible. If I just tweak mine while I'm upstairs waling around I would lose a channel or a block of channels like 14-1 through 14-5.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked and looked but I cannot for the life of me find the article I used to make mine.

Here is one I would use if I made one now for outdoors.

I can tell you one thing. Follow the dimensions and keep the wires as straight as possible and keep the distances as accurate as possible. If I just tweak mine while I'm upstairs waling around I would lose a channel or a block of channels like 14-1 through 14-5.

Thanks for posting this I’m in the process of building one like this now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Look on EBAY HD tv 30 bucks or so I have one gets about 40 channels . I am South of Tuttle. mounted low enough I can stand on the ground & touch it. its not very ruggd have some of the loops broke off but still works good. I would look at the round one .
I have two of those. One for the shop at home and the other in the RV, mounted on a 10' piece of 3/4" pvc that gets tied to the ladder on the back. Amazing how many channels that thing picks up. You can get the 150 mile model or the 200 mile model for a few buck more. They look identical, but it may have something to do with the amplifier. Even has a built in rotator with a remote to tune those channels. Got mine from Amazon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom