Outlaw 2x72 grinder came today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought a lot of tools & stuff from Harbor Freight over the years, and usually had a pretty good experience with 'em.

YMMV... :drunk2:
When my quest for a 2x72 first started I was gonna order one from Grizzly but after a buddy of mine pointed out some drawbacks I started the search. Months of reading, making phone calls and watching videos led me to this one. There's really no large company that builds a 2x72 on this level so options are somewhat limited. There is a handful of guys that build em though. Probably if I'd had experience using one or had access to one, I would have built it myself. It would have been too big of an investment to just wing though.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! I miss my 2x72... Sold it when we left Oregon. Still have my heat treating oven and a ton of knife steel and scales - one day I'll have another 2x72. Those Blaze ceramic belts are AWESOME! You can seriously hog some material with those. VFD is the way to go, being able to change speed based on material and belt combo will make your belts last so much longer (and you can control the heat to whatever you're grinding).

Have fun with it!

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy once, cry once they say. Right??? Well, I hope!
I bought a metal grinder from A to Z in Midwest city for around $8.00 and the first time I used it it literally burst into flames. You're right, you get what you pay for. Harbor Freight is good for some things but not for long durability on some of their Chinese products-which I think is all of their products.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a metal grinder from A to Z in Midwest city for around $8.00 and the first time I used it it literally burst into flames. You're right, you get what you pay for. Harbor Freight is good for some things but not for long durability on some of their Chinese products-which I think is all of their products.
I've got a couple of their die grinders and a couple of their air drill motors that I swear by. The trick to longevity on them is to put about 5 drops of light oil in the air inlet before attaching the air hose....every time you get them out to use, no matter how much use it had before.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a couple of their die grinders and a couple of their air drill motors that I swear by. The trick to longevity on them is to put about 5 drops of light oil in the air inlet before attaching the air hose....every time you get them out to use, no matter how much use it had before.
Even if it isnt the recommended oil, use it! One doesn't need chain saw oil for the chain, use 30 weight or whatever is on the shelf. The key is lubrication.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cowcatcher,

With a grinder like that, OSA bylaws dictate the you must try your hand at knifemaking!!

Also, if you happen to run across any stray Soviet naval mines, please make me one of these....
1548068564717.png

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cowcatcher,

With a grinder like that, OSA bylaws dictate the you must try your hand at knifemaking!!

Also, if you happen to run across any stray Soviet naval mines, please make me one of these....
View attachment 130858
Dang it! I really need to start reading instead of clicking the "accept and continue" button. I'd say there's a pretty good chance I'll try to make one. I've gotta read up on heat treatment n such. I've got a forge and tons of used motor oil but it can't be that simple. I will have O1 tool steel for other projects so that'd probably be the steel I'd use for my first attempt.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd start with some 1095 or 1084 high carbon steels if you're using motor oil quench. Can you control temp in your forge (like using a thermocouple to monitor temp)? O1 is good tool steel, good knife steel, but a PITA to finish once hardened...

Latest posts

Top Bottom