Outlaw 2x72 grinder came today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I thought about getting some 1095. I just know I'll have O1 on hand. I will get whatever liquid works best for quenching but I do have about 300 gallons of used motor oil on hand. We have lots of equipment. No sir I don't have temp control on the forge. I actually considered sending things off to be heat treated. I've seen several places offer that service.
I'd start with some 1095 or 1084 high carbon steels if you're using motor oil quench. Can you control temp in your forge (like using a thermocouple to monitor temp)? O1 is good tool steel, good knife steel, but a PITA to finish once hardened...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you have that backwards. Gunmaking drove a lot of the development of manufacturing, machining, and machine tools in the 19th century.

Exactly. When I was at the Jones and Lampson school in Springfield Vermont, (now gone) they had a museum of old machine tools, some of which were used in the field to make cannon rounds, and repair firearms during the war between the states. They operated with a treadle just like an old Singer sewing-machine for the smaller models.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Played with the grinder today. Made two knife looking things. Just out of some mild steel. Good practice. Still lots to learn.
IMG_3659.JPG
IMG_3660.JPG
IMG_3661.JPG
IMG_3662.JPG
IMG_3663.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom