Outside heater drain pipe is frozen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, noticed that the inside temp was dropping.

Went up stairs and noticed that the drain pipe was moist.

Turns out, the outside drain pipe is frozen. Not sure how much of the length is frozen, but...

So, opened the upstairs stop and drained off a bunch of water.
Problem is, I'm going to have to repeat this a bunch I'm sure.
The heater tape obviously isn't keeping up with the temps!!

Is there anything that I can put in the drain pipe to help unfreeze the water? It is obviously a gravity feed system, but I don't want to risk something backing up into the unit.

Thanks

Dave

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The same thing happened to us a few winters ago. We ended up running the drain pipe down the inside wall of the garage and going out at the very bottom with a wind break around it on the outside. The garage stays heated and keeps the drain pipe warm enough.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heater drain pipe?
Salt, a hand full or two. More if it's 3"-4"

2nd thought. High efficiency condensation drain?

high efficiency furnace don't have a high enough exhaust temperature so moisture will condense before it can leave the flue and run back into the unit. The manufactures design for this.

salt... maybe. never tried it. Couldn't hurt.

if it will drain even a little you can cup some hot water thru it and open it up. If its solid it will likely just freeze up again tonight while you sleep.

might be able to figure out how to drain into a bucket. or cut up a garden hose and drain into a bathtub if your desperate

depending on access you might install a condensate pump and poly tube it to a sanitary drain

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My HE furnace drain has a 6” vertical tube at the furnace that is open at the top. I noticed air flow out of it when the furnace is running. Wonder if putting a cap on it would send a little warm down the drain to keep it open ? Noticed this open tube on other HE furnaces, any one know why ?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My HE furnace drain has a 6” vertical tube at the furnace that is open at the top. I noticed air flow out of it when the furnace is running. Wonder if putting a cap on it would send a little warm down the drain to keep it open ? Noticed this open tube on other HE furnaces, any one know why ?
Same here. But the city code inspector flagged it and they had to put a "cap" on it. So....being PVC they just added two 90deg elbows onto it. Don't know if the inspector was right or not, but it hasn't caused any issues yet.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My heater keeps shutting itself off after a couple minutes or so. Went up to the attic and found the drain is frozen. Thawed it with a hair dryer and unplugged it, nothing drained out. Still don't know why it keeps shutting off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom