Over a year start to finish 6.8 SPC AR.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started this build over a year ago. Then put it on hold to focus on the Reserve Academy. I finally was able to finish it today. The Vortex Strike Eagle is a place holder till the Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 comes in. I may try to source a mount to bring the scope down a bit more. This is the standard 2" Cantilever Vortex mount. This scope may end up on my patrol rifle.

I need to get it sighted in sometime soon. Later this month I'll be in TX for a pig hunt. Going to be running Hornady 120 SST. First time I'll be hunting without a Barnes TSX bullet in years.

i258.photobucket.com_albums_hh272_dblystone_Pig_20Thumping_206.8.jpg

booger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My stag 20 inch 6.8 barrel loved the 95 grain ttsx. So have stuck with it. I can shoot the 110 grain bthp from hornady fairly well but my barrel did not like the 120 sst at all.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is it about the Vortex Strike Eagle that you don't like? I'm am starting to get together an AR 308 style rifle. the Vortex Strike Eagle was one of the scopes I was looking at.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
YukonGlocker: The barrel is a ARP 16" 6.8 5R Scout profile barrel- 4150 CMV. I went ahead and added the ARP SuperBolt to my order as well.

Pokinfun: I had placed an order for the Leupold before buying the Vortex. Buying it through the LEO/MIL discount program generally requires a long wait. I needed glass on this ASAP to get it complete for my trip this month. The main reason I don't want to keep it on this rifle is the extra magnification 9x instead of 3x. Its not much but I'll take what I can get as my shots in TX are typically around 200yds.

One last thing. If you look through the Strike Eagle the reticle isn't as fine of detail as the Leupold. Think think wires vs thick wires for cross hairs. I wouldn't expect to maintain as tight of groups with the Strike Eagle. I'm not saying it isn't possible. I just don't expect it.

Once I get this to the range I'll confirm my suspicions on the thicker vs thinner reticle detail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom