Overheard at the gun counter....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in a gun shop yesterday and a young man was looking at what I think they said was an AK (I know nothing about long guns). The young man really wants it at the currently posted price, but his dad suggested he wait until after the first of the year when prices will probably drop.

He asked the shop owner what he thought and the owner told him that he doesn't know of anything that leads him to think prices will go lower after the first of the year, nor will supply will be dramatically increased.

He told the young man he wasn't in any way pressuring him to buy the gun as it will sell at the listed price and that what he told him was just his opinion from years in the gun business, what his suppliers were telling him, and what the political environment looks to be.

The young man was polite and thanked him, but told him he would wait.

Wonder who was right?

I was in this gun shop a few weeks ago and saw the AK was gone. I asked if the young man ended up buying it and the owner said he came in two days after their conversation and bought it at the listed price. The buyer said he couldn't find one cheaper...or even find one like it...so he was glad it was still available. Happy ending for all!

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was in a shop yesterday and overheard a scary conversation. Guy comes in browsing the pistol case and the owner asks if he can help. The guy says "yeah, I want a 40 caliber pistol". The owner asks him what his primary use will be and the guy just flatly says "to shoot people". The owner says are you looking for this for home defense and the guy says "yeah, but I don't know anything about guns. I've never owned one." The owner tried to talk him into a 9mm, which he had ammo for (50 bucks a box btw), instead of the .40 which nobody can find ammo for. The guy just flat out says "my friends say a .40 can lay a person out better than a 9mm cause it's got more power." I could see where this was heading, so I paid for my thermal scope and got out of there before I got swept by someone who doesn't know better.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, lots of crazies out there

And a lot of scared people.
Continually amazed by how many people are contacting me for information to help them "find a gun" or "I need some ammo".
Most have the same concern...."I want to be able to protect myself".

I don't tell them that the time to learn this stuff and get this stuff is BEFORE you need it, not after the horse has left the barn.

Dave

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
And a lot of scared people.
Continually amazed by how many people are contacting me for information to help them "find a gun" or "I need some ammo".
Most have the same concern...."I want to be able to protect myself".

I don't tell them that the time to learn this stuff and get this stuff is BEFORE you need it, not after the horse has left the barn.

Dave

Yeah I actually gave some 9mm to a friend, because he just got his first handgun and can't find any. I really hope he doesn't shoot it up and come looking for more. I don't think I want to get rid of any more.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I actually gave some 9mm to a friend, because he just got his first handgun and can't find any. I really hope he doesn't shoot it up and come looking for more. I don't think I want to get rid of any more.

I don’t mind getting rid of it, if it’s out the front of my barrel.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work with a guy that says he was in the military as an armorer and used to shoot all the guns. Says he can shoot an M14 and hit a dime at 300 yds with open sights, and he can do it regularly. I tried to tell him a good m14 would have a hard time keeping those shots inside a 6” circle and even seeing a dime 300ds away was all but impossible. He mentioned something about matching parts and some other nonsense, but never backed down. I just stopped listening at that point.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just SEEING a 6" circle at 300 yds would be a pretty good accomplishment for me.

For years, the wife and I have had a digital alarm clock with red numbers were we can see it from our bed. I recently made a comment that we might need a new clock since I was having trouble being able to tell what the numbers were. I have to blink my eyes several times after waking up in order to make out the numbers.

So, yesterday she bought a new clock with 1.8" numbers. I have NO problem reading that one, but I'd swear that they look like they are 3 inches tall instead of 1.8".

Latest posts

Top Bottom