Paging coolhandluke and his stick knowledge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a stock question for you or any one who can help. I picked up a Yugo m48 and the stock is weird to say the least. It appears there is zero finish on the stock and it’s rough feeling ( you can feel the grain) I’m planning on oiling the stock with blo or Tung oil but before I smooth it with sand paper I wanted some help, Would 0000 steel wool be better?

Attachments

• 38D4BE82-B669-4B84-AEB8-FAF64EA22283.jpeg
    38D4BE82-B669-4B84-AEB8-FAF64EA22283.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 164

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like you probably have an unissued or replacement beech Yugo stock. Don't touch it with sandpaper or steel wool. If you feel the need to make the surface smoother. Use blue 3M pads, coat the stock with the oil of your choice, and scrub it thoroughly. This will slightly burnish the surface without removing any material or imbedding shards of steel in the grain. If you need to smooth the surface further you may try lightly boning the stock (insert sophomoric joke here).

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll 2nd the 3M pads. Steel wool is your enemy on wood finishes.
The pads might seem a bit pricey, but they last quite awhile.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll add to the joke, do I have to buy the stock dinner first?

BTW...boning is actually a real woodworking (and leatherworking) term. You use a bone (or another non-abrasive material that is harder than the stock's wood) to smooth or polish the surface of the wood. This works best with a very light hand and the surface of the stock being coated in oil. A section of pool cue works well for the boning tool.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok scotch bright check, did some boning with a socket and a light hand check, 5 coats of blo check. I’m not that impressed with the blo can I switch gears and go to Tung oil now for a few coats will that darken it a tad and give it a sheen?

Latest posts

Top Bottom