Paint a stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just recently painted a new Del Ton upper/old Bushmaster lower with rattle can tan and green. Bought paint at Lowes, Tulsa Hills shopping Center.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    992.6 KB · Views: 0

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there is value to the stock in original condition I will leave it alone. Who knows, I may run across a wood one cheap or somebody with a wood stocked mini 14 might trade me rifles.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rattle can is the way to go. Add a matte clear finish and it will last a little longer. That way when you change your mind you are not stuck with a hard to remove duracoat, Cerakote, Alumhyde, or car paint to remove.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@RickN

Check out what I did here.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/now-finished-my-most-ambitious-stock-repair-yet.254560/
1675025003876.png

A painted stock will never look like wood, but this looks pretty good IMHO.

All Rustoleum spray paint.
Base coat in tan and then the textured brown/tan over that. Once dry I lightly buffed it with a very fine sanding pad to knock down the roughness (0000 wool would work too). It has a nice grippy texture that is comfortable for all day shooting.

It gets taken out regularly and has held up amazingly well for almost 5 years now.

For a plastic stock I would recommend cleaning it good with Dawn and water to get any oil off then a coat of plastic primer before doing the base coat.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@RickN

Check out what I did here.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/now-finished-my-most-ambitious-stock-repair-yet.254560/
View attachment 343720

A painted stock will never look like wood, but this looks pretty good IMHO.

All Rustoleum spray paint.
Base coat in tan and then the textured brown/tan over that. Once dry I lightly buffed it with a very fine sanding pad to knock down the roughness (0000 wool would work too). It has a nice grippy texture that is comfortable for all day shooting.

It gets taken out regularly and has held up amazingly well for almost 5 years now.

For a plastic stock I would recommend cleaning it good with Dawn and water to get any oil off then a coat of plastic primer before doing the base coat.
That looks good. I had a brown ATI stock on my old No 4 MK1 that I liked. While it did not look like wood it did not look like it was trying to be tacticool either. Plus it did not stand out as much as black.

Latest posts

Top Bottom