Painting a Concrete Patio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am refinishing/painting a concrete patio in my home's atrium in preparation for a new hot tub installation here in a couple of weeks. The concrete pad in the atrium is shown below and is approximately 10' X 12'. I just got finished with getting the old 900-pound redwood hot tub out (Thanks to the back-breaking work of the crew from Emerald Springs Spas) and tore out the old epoxy-pebbled floor, (my labor to this point) which at the time of installation about 18 years ago was called "Futura Stone". This was and probably still is a good underfoot around hot tubs and pool decks where you kind of want a non-skid surface. But the old tub had seen better days, and we decided to get a new one and re-do the atrium at the same time. The old Futura stone was becoming brittle and actually came up pretty easy, I just used a flat blade shovel to scrape and some 35 buckets of debris later, I had it out.

I will of course use a suitable paint for exterior concrete, they make stuff for pool decks and the like which is good for this kind of application. I had considered doing an etched-stain, like in our living room, but wife wants a painted concrete pad, and it's not smooth concrete like you have indoors anyway, which it would need to be for a good stain to work out. We'll do a color like a terra cotta or brick or a reddish-brown or something similar.

The problem I have, and I'm not sure it's really even a problem, is shown on some of the pics below. Glue swirls. See, when we bought the house, the person before had put down some kind of outdoor carpet in the atrium. I ripped that crap up before I had the epoxy-pebble floor done. But now, since I have scraped the old epoxy-pebble floor up, the old glue swirls on the concrete pad are still there. They are very worn down and not very prominent; they have been scraped and swept and cleaned good, but the remnants of the old glue that was used to hold down that exterior carpet stuff remains. I think my next step prior to painting is going to be giving the concrete pad a good power washing, then I will use a concrete primer and then; paint. We will probably do two colors, a primary in say, Terra Cotta, with a complimenting/contrasting color around the edges of the patio; kind of like a border, about 12 -15 inches.

Do you think I need to go rent one of those power units to grind and suck the last remnants of old hard, dried glue off the concrete pad before I paint it or do you think I'm good to just power wash, prime and paint after a good final scrape and clean? An advantage to leaving it as it is would be the limited surface texture it does provide as far as being non-slip. If this was indoors, well, of course I'd grind all the old glue swirls up first, and have a totally smooth surface that I could then do a stain on. There's a pic or two below of the etched-stained concrete floor we did in our living room and you can see the atrium from that view as well.

Anyway, what do you think? Do you think I need to grind this down some more, or is it good to go ahead with final cleaning, prime and paint?

dc7d88a53eb1e906934263677f5b7593.jpg
7250461ccc9522d17cfa2422e09da3ff.jpg
7b27c4e3afacfef1f1a72dc6c7a6b0dc.jpg
9013ec8c2f1140e9ed3c083e0479efc1.jpg
531531646da847a28c412e5454029093.jpg
fa66421e22fb33e6b12c78b21b5d9aae.jpg
aa1894b51dc42bdee7c6b6ad42481beb.jpg

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we had kiddos, our beautifully acid stained patio was too slick, they kept slipping out if the pool. I rented a trailer air compressor and a big sand blaster, blasted the entire thing, stained it again. The rough service the blasting left was a great non-slip surface, and acid staining makes a great looking patio.

If you can't blast it, you might see if you can rent a concrete grinder/surfacer. It'll make quick work of that glue

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you buy the paint make sure you get the kind that has the grit already added into the paint or you will have a slippery surface when wet if the concrete has any kind of smooth surface. We use it on outdoor restrooms that we build with concreet floors but we put a real smooth surface on them to make it easier to sweep the floor.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Don't even try the glue stripper I can tell you from experience it does not work!! Concrete grinder is the way to go. Spectrum paint has a concrete paint that has grit in it and can mix it in several colors used it on a concrete deck at work as well as an exterior running track and it is good stuff.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you buy the paint make sure you get the kind that has the grit already added into the paint or you will have a slippery surface when wet if the concrete has any kind of smooth surface. We use it on outdoor restrooms that we build with concreet floors but we put a real smooth surface on them to make it easier to sweep the floor.

The concrete surface is rough. It's like most exterior concrete patio surfaces. It's got plenty of texture to it to make it non-slip, but I may still use the grit added in anyway just 'cause it would be a real bummer to slip and bust a hip or something getting out of that tub in freezing weather. See, we access it right from the sliding patio doors in the master bedroom, it's just a few steps to the tub from there. The times we enjoy having a hot tub the most is when it's really cold as hell outside, and you get in that 103 degree hot, bubbling water...Ahhh... life is good then, soaking in that hot tub in the privacy of our atrium while looking up at the stars. So long as you don't forget those little umbrellas to keep the snowflakes out of your hot chocolate, that is. In the summer, I just turn the tub's heater off and it stays right where I want it, temperature wise.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't even try the glue stripper I can tell you from experience it does not work!! Concrete grinder is the way to go. Spectrum paint has a concrete paint that has grit in it and can mix it in several colors used it on a concrete deck at work as well as an exterior running track and it is good stuff.

Also may try a concrete grinding company , size of that should be pretty reasonable!

So; you've seen it...when you helped me get the doors out. I'm not sure you saw it before I stripped the old epoxy crap up off that pad or not though, I can't remember. Do you think I need to for sure grind it or can I just prime and paint over it? Those dried glue swirls are not that prominent, they are hard as rock.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If it is basically just stains in the concrete you will prolly be ok but if it will flake off or get dusty when rubbing it could cause issues !! Hard to tell from pics and you still had the rock stuff on there when I was over!
Hard as a rock sounds good though!

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I would want the swirls gone or if you're like me looking at them everytime I walk out there would bug the crap out of me. I don't think the glue swirls will take the stain and come out the same color as the rest of it. By the way, I really like your stained floors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom