Painting a Concrete Patio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those glue marks would drive me crazy unless I used something with a heavy texture like bed liner to paint the floor.

The remainders of the old glue doesn’t have much feel to it; if I use a paint with some grit or texture added to it, I don’t think they will be noticeable. I’m more concerned with the paint sticking to the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, given the small size, you could pour another thin topcoat of concrete mixed with whatever color dye you want. That'd be super easy

I thought about that. But this atrium is in the middle of my house..I'd have to lug all that crap through the house, into the atrium, build a form in there, mix it in there, spread it, etc. I guess I need to figure out how much concrete I'd need to pour to do a topcoat before I say no to this idea.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might also look into garage floor coatings, or perhaps marine (lol, the boat kind) coatings used on boats and/or docks.

Even latex paint put on thick with a roller would last a good while, and also provide a bit of anti-slip.

Just a couple thoughts. :drunk2:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought about that. But this atrium is in the middle of my house..I'd have to lug all that crap through the house, into the atrium, build a form in there, mix it in there, spread it, etc. I guess I need to figure out how much concrete I'd need to pour to do a topcoat before I say no to this idea.
I believe there is a liquid topcoat product made to resurface for staining.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll second or third the concrete grinding. The glue that permeated the concrete may not allow paint or stain to stick. You have to get rid of that and go with raw concrete.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't understand the painting thing. That will, IMO, look like crap from the start or will look like crap in short order. I'd go to a tool rental company and grind the concrete. It will smooth out the surface, get all the glue off and make it look much nicer. Then if you want you can put a good concrete sealer on the surface to keep it nicer and more stain resistant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom