Painting a Concrete Patio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about that hot tub...

...how easy would it be for the "other half" to close the lids on you? You might be parboiled before you could get out.

Crap, I didn’t think about that. I’ll make it a point I stay outta the tub when she’s pissed at me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha, glad you got it resolved. I am late here, if any of you are still reading and need to "protect" concrete, I highly recommend a product called "Diamond Hard" for concrete. Inexpensive, does a chemical reaction like an etching in with the surface, looks like original concrete when done. I put it on 9 years ago, drip some water on it, beads up like it has been waxed. Airplane drips oil after a flight, a week later, take a paper towel with some avgas, wipe it off.

However, the tracks from the steel erection lift that were there before application will be there forever. No pealing or flaking, just a "Diamand Hard" surface. Two of my friends are chipping and scraping, redoing theirs put in at the same time, not mine, not a coating, part of the concrete, etched in. I think concrete is a good color. JMO Heading out to my hot tub shortly. Enjoy

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha, glad you got it resolved. I am late here, if any of you are still reading and need to "protect" concrete, I highly recommend a product called "Diamond Hard" for concrete. Inexpensive, does a chemical reaction like an etching in with the surface, looks like original concrete when done. I put it on 9 years ago, drip some water on it, beads up like it has been waxed. Airplane drips oil after a flight, a week later, take a paper towel with some avgas, wipe it off.

However, the tracks from the steel erection lift that were there before application will be there forever. No pealing or flaking, just a "Diamand Hard" surface. Two of my friends are chipping and scraping, redoing theirs put in at the same time, not mine, not a coating, part of the concrete, etched in. I think concrete is a good color. JMO Heading out to my hot tub shortly. Enjoy

Well, NOW I you tell me. Dang. Seriously though, can this stuff be tinted or after you put the Diamond Hard on, can you paint over it? I may be interested in using it for a concrete patio in the backyard...next spring.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope to all the above. In fact, a little paint overspray or anything else for that matter scrapes off easily with a 4" putty knife. It does a chemical reaction with the concrete. Seemed to slightly soften the surface while being applied, then seemed to have closed the pores as it dried. I accidentally tracked some of it out on my ramp area that has been totally in the WX, Sun and rain. When wet, the boot tread prints are still beading water off after 9 years. Not quite sure how, but it works. It is easy to mop clean but is not slippery.

Just be sure you prep well, it will be like it is until you bust out the concrete. (Read my construction lift tire track remark above) After that, you could most likely mop away a burnout on it. I did have a cart battery overflow acid that etched a small spot.

Read more on the specs of this stuff at
https://www.euclidchemical.com/prod...nsifiers/liquid-densifiers/euco-diamond-hard/

I purchased mine at Maxwell Supply in Tulsa. I think they have an OKC location. 9 years ago a 5 gal pail was about $60, most likely quite a bit more now. 5 gal was a little more than I needed to do my 2500 sq ft 50x50 hangar.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope to all the above. In fact, a little paint overspray or anything else for that matter scrapes off easily with a 4" putty knife. It does a chemical reaction with the concrete. Seemed to slightly soften the surface while being applied, then seemed to have closed the pores as it dried. I accidentally tracked some of it out on my ramp area that has been totally in the WX, Sun and rain. When wet, the boot tread prints are still beading water off after 9 years. Not quite sure how, but it works. It is easy to mop clean but is not slippery.

Just be sure you prep well, it will be like it is until you bust out the concrete. (Read my construction lift tire track remark above) After that, you could most likely mop away a burnout on it. I did have a cart battery overflow acid that etched a small spot.

Read more on the specs of this stuff at
https://www.euclidchemical.com/prod...nsifiers/liquid-densifiers/euco-diamond-hard/

I purchased mine at Maxwell Supply in Tulsa. I think they have an OKC location. 9 years ago a 5 gal pail was about $60, most likely quite a bit more now. 5 gal was a little more than I needed to do my 2500 sq ft 50x50 hangar.

Good luck to you.

Well thanks. But, so far the finish I did is holding up fine. We will re-evaluate in the spring, when it gets warm outside again!

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And the new Hot Tub got delivered too! All complete!
9336d37448d07962ea09c8557c079851.jpg

Can I come over and hang w you and the missus in the hot tub? It works wonders for my psoriasis

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, just pop in. I’ll make sure there’s plenty of sanitizer in the water...lemme see, about 5 gal of muriatic Acid should take care of it.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you put on a good cement epoxy it should last several years before it starts to deteriorate, I just did not want to start out knowing I would have to redo it some day. We love our hot tubs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom