Painting front and back sights on Ruger 22/45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love my ruger 22/45. Has great adjustable sights. Only issue I have is they are jet black. Thinking about putting either straight white line or dots on the back and orange line or do on the front. Doing this for better sight acquisition.
Has anyone done this? If so, a picture would be great. Also what did you use? Paint/fingernail polish/whiteout? I know there is fluorescent paint but have never used it.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used the cheapest blaze orange fingernail polish that I could find to highlight my front sight. My friend did the same on his, but put a couple of dots of neon green on his rear sight. I think it's the best (and definitely the cheapest) upgrade for them.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used the cheapest blaze orange fingernail polish that I could find to highlight my front sight. My friend did the same on his, but put a couple of dots of neon green on his rear sight. I think it's the best (and definitely the cheapest) upgrade for them.
Thanks. Shooting a dark target at 20 yards at a range with black on black sights is TOUGH.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used a dab of Testor's gold metallic model car to paint the top edge of front sights before - worked out better than any color (red, yellow, white, green, etc.) that I tried as it had at least a little contrast with almost any background. Left the rear sights black and painted enough of the front that I get a "full" rear aperture with the top of the front lined up correctly.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used a dab of Testor's gold metallic model car paint on front sights before - worked out better than any color (red, yellow, white, green, etc.) that I tried as it had at least a little contrast with almost any background.
Gold metallic huh. Where can you get model car paint now? Will test it out.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a white nail polish as a base and then a yellow top. If you do just yellow it stays a bit darker.

At the last steel challenge match I went to someone else had the same issue and I let them use the polish. They liked it very much.

A gold paint could be interesting but the flat color seems to work fine to me.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a white nail polish as a base and then a yellow top. If you do just yellow it stays a bit darker.

At the last steel challenge match I went to someone else had the same issue and I let them use the polish. They liked it very much.

A gold paint could be interesting but the flat color seems to work fine to me.
Got a picture?

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used orange fluorescent testors model paint. Left the rear black, it's helped greatly. Have an RMR laying in the safe that will prob get mounted to it, but it does fine with the paint

Latest posts

Top Bottom