Painting your rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been considering painting my predator rifle. It’s a blued Howa 1500 in a Bell and Carlson M40 stock. Was thinking of painting everything, to include the scope. I’ve done good ol fashioned spray paint before on AR’s, but I was wanting to do something a little nicer. Was considering doing a “coffee stain” desert camo. Thoughts? I don’t want to pay someone to Cerakote it, don’t really want to purchase all the stuff to do it myself, I also don’t have space for an oven or a blast cabinet. Was considering duracoat, which while it’s still pricey, involves less prep work and equipment. But I also worry I’m gonna dislike it or want to change it in the future, and I’m concerned that it will be extremely difficult to remove.

anybody else used duracoat? How is it to remove? What other options do I have? Has anyone had any issues after painting their optics?

are their any other options I’m overlooking?
20C09B8A-EF8C-4DB6-8812-C20828A8DD64.png
B6673409-116A-4413-AA97-054B310AC2E0.jpeg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Rusto' Camo paint on cars boats and nylon rifle stocks.
Very durable and making a pattern like you want i will suggest get some
shelf paper liner from wal-mart for about 5 bucks a roll.

Paint a color on the rifle and then cut a squiggly pattern from the paper and stick it on the dried paint.
Paint another color and repeat and when done pull off all the paper and you will have the pattern.

Google how to videos.. pretty simple.
Painted rifles below

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/show-off-your-painted-rifles.309859/

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Rusto' Camo paint on cars boats and nylon rifle stocks.
Very durable and making a pattern like you want i will suggest get some
shelf paper liner from wal-mart for about 5 bucks a roll.

Paint a color on the rifle and then cut a squiggly pattern from the paper and stick it on the dried paint.
Paint another color and repeat and when done pull off all the paper and you will have the pattern.

Google how to videos.. pretty simple.
Painted rifles below

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/show-off-your-painted-rifles.309859/
That’s what I’ve used on my AR’s and a few other objects around the house. Haven’t tried removing it yet, have you?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never seen the point in it myself but each to their own, I try to leave mine as close to factory as i can.
I typically do the same, but in the interest of hiding from sharp eyed predators, I feel that my shiny blued rifle isn’t doing me any favors. This rifle is a real rust magnet too, no matter what I do. I figure a solid paint job/coating would solve both problems.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have removed desert tan from a Ruger I purchased.
Lacquer thinner and paper towels.

My cars go through trees and brush and seems to stick well if I sand it coarse 220 grit.
If I DA a car with 220 grit it does not stick as well. If I hand sand dry and keep good cutting paper it is on there and
a car wash does not remove it even after getting mud and dirt stuck to the sides of the car.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Duracoat base coat and regular shakey paint for the details. This has held up well over the years. Can’t say I’ve ever tried to r3move it though.

I also refinished a beat to hell old Rem 742 for my son in law using the “gun blue” color Duracoat. It looked really good and has held up well.
ECF10C2B-D905-48A4-A670-B0F48B803033.jpeg
248825F9-8DE6-40FE-8137-CDAA3BCEDC25.jpeg

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used duracoat a long time ago on a saiga. I thought it turned out ok. It didn't seem as tough as cerakote, but wasn't baked either. I can't remember the surface prep on it, but would bet it would have to be blasted to remove.

Latest posts

Top Bottom