Panhandle Antelope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly I love antelope and they get a horrible rap from the ranchers/farmers for not much reason at all. In Nebraska they are the #1 most complained about game species in the state (according to surveys) even though they cause little monetary damage to landowners crops/pasture/etc...

I don't know, but I've been told that, for one thing, they are hell on fences. And, they supposedly don't bite the wheat off; they pull it up by the roots. Just what one of the farmer/ranchers out there told me.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know, but I've been told that, for one thing, they are hell on fences. And, they supposedly don't bite the wheat off; they pull it up by the roots. Just what one of the farmer/ranchers out there told me.
Most everything grazes closer to the ground than a cow will. If you have anything (including cows) on wheat pasture before the roots develop, you can have problems with wheat being rooted-up. I can see how it would be a problem. As for fences: they say pronghorns crawl under fences? Not good, but tighter fences would go a long way toward solving that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most everything grazes closer to the ground than a cow will. If you have anything (including cows) on wheat pasture before the roots develop, you can have problems with wheat being rooted-up. I can see how it would be a problem. As for fences: they say pronghorns crawl under fences? Not good, but tighter fences would go a long way toward solving that.
A savvy antelope hunter will create a gap under a fence for them to crawl through. The same with Turkey. They hate fences but the lower level propped up with a stick will let them walk right through.

Latest posts

Top Bottom