Passwords

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
correcthorsebatterystaple

For those that don't get it:
https://xkcd.com/936/
That cartoon is actually referenced in an academic paper on passwords—specifically, how its premise is incorrect. That paper, in turn, was referenced in a paper by Microsoft Research about how most of the advice on passwords over the last 20+ years is also wrong.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First thing I saw was Black lives matter. Turned me off real quick and I didn't go further.
That cartoon is actually referenced in an academic paper on passwords—specifically, how its premise is incorrect. That paper, in turn, was referenced in a paper by Microsoft Research about how most of the advice on passwords over the last 20+ years is also wrong.

Is there a link to that paper by chance? Sounds interesting.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if you’re using iOS/iPadOS 14 (or newer), you can go to Settings -> Passwords, and it will tell you if any of the passwords in your keychain have been exposed in a data breach. (I don’t use the keychain, so it don’t tell me anything about mine.)

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a link to that paper by chance? Sounds interesting.
Here’s the link to Microsoft’s password guidance paper:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...ads/2016/06/Microsoft_Password_Guidance-1.pdf
and to the Carnegie Mellon paper that references the comic:
http://cups.cs.cmu.edu/soups/2012/proceedings/a7_Shay.pdf
It’s probably not fair to say that the CMU paper is saying the comic is incorrect, although they do say that there is a lack of empirical evidence to support recommending passphrases over passwords.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife came home mad one day from work. It seems the passwords that she and she alone uses to enter in to her spreadsheets and accounting programs were flagged when the company injected a new diversity politically correct database word checker. It wouldn't allow her current passwords to be typed into the start pages. It kept bringing up a noncompliance with the standards of the company box.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a different password for everything I use. None are saved on the computer, phone, or other computer app. Got 'em all on a hard copy (middle of a notebook). If I happen to get hacked, they can only gain access to one thing.

Great minds think alike!
You can see it’s well used.

IMG_2501.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom