PawPaw trees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Diverticilidus?
Everyone has diverticula. Over the years, especially when one bears down to defecate, straining, it causes the lower intestines to form pockets over time in them and seeds, nuts etc. sometimes lodge in those pockets or folds and become inflamed and/or infected. which causes an infection and can perforate the intestine and leak into the surrounding tissue similar to a ruptured appendix and can be deadly. Usually treated with anti-biotics. Best to look it up as I may not have got it all.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have diverticulitis. Some of the inflamed diverticula (mucosal prolapses through the fibromuscular wall of the colon) became chronic abscesses that did not respond to antibiotics (IVs for days), so the sigmoid flexure part of my colon was removed about 20 years ago. Recent research supports the idea that seeds, popcorn, etc. are not the cause. I don’t pay one bit of attention to what I eat (as far as seeds go) and have not had any further problems.

Everyone has to listen to their own body, but research supports eating a high fiber diet (when not inflamed) irrespective of how many seeds are present to prevent problems. Here’s a link to one web site supporting that idea:

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/diverticulitis-diet

Latest posts

Top Bottom