Pay it Forward central A/C unit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSPANIER

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to remove an A/C unit from my house. The unit is definitely old about 15-18 years but works just fine. It doesn't have the air handler or furnace. Does anyone know a family that is really in need of one. I'd like to get it into the "right" set of hands. It will be able to be picked up in Tulsa within the next 4-6 weeks. The unit is currently in use. I may even have two of them but we'll just focus on the one for now. If installation is a problem i can try to work that our for someone or maybe someone here on OSA is a tech that could help.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to remove an A/C unit from my house. The unit is definitely old about 15-18 years but works just fine. It doesn't have the air handler or furnace. Does anyone know a family that is really in need of one. I'd like to get it into the "right" set of hands. It will be able to be picked up in Tulsa within the next 4-6 weeks. The unit is currently in use. I may even have two of them but we'll just focus on the one for now. If installation is a problem i can try to work that our for someone or maybe someone here on OSA is a tech that could help.

My neighbors unit burned out earlier this spring, it had been failing the last couple of years with bad valves, they both work and go to school and don't have much money. They are set up for a 1.5 ton unit if it is the same size they could use it.

JSPANIER

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a 2.5 ton unit so it would be horribly inefficient in a space sized for 1.5 ton. I don't think they'd like it but it's their call. The electric bill would be $$$. I did have a fellow OSA member who will install it. He wants no credit for his kindness but you know who you are!

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
It's a 2.5 ton unit so it would be horribly inefficient in a space sized for 1.5 ton. I don't think they'd like it but it's their call. The electric bill would be $$$. I did have a fellow OSA member who will install it. He wants no credit for his kindness but you know who you are!

Not only would it be inefficient, the A-coil would constantly freeze up. I was about to suggest someone on here to install it, but I'm sure we are thinking of the same person. :-)

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think a 2.5 ton condensor on a 1.5 ton evap coil is going to be very effecient. Freeze up of the a coil wont be the problem. The problem will be high humidity levels and short cycle times along with extremely low effecciency meaning it will run a lot. Doubt they have breaker service for that monster either. I helped them keep the old wreck they had running for the past 2 summers. Thanks for throwing it out there Jspanier.

I am probably going to go grab them a window unit at least for their bedroom/master bath so they can sleep at night.

Latest posts

Top Bottom