PC gurus...I have a question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That and they always staple the runs to the studs then foam it.
:fullauto:

Can't tell you how many times I've had shorted coax from them running a staple through it, and its always a 2 story house.....

The best one was a brand new house (this was back in 09 or 10) that was run with rg-58. Had 8 outlets run with that 50 ohm coax. Told the customer it wasn't usable. Got on the phone with the builder who happened to have the electrician there. He was like "Coax is coax, I ran my house with that stuff and it works fine!"....

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't tell you how many times I've had shorted coax from them running a staple through it, and its always a 2 story house.....

The best one was a brand new house (this was back in 09 or 10) that was run with rg-58. Had 8 outlets run with that 50 ohm coax. Told the customer it wasn't usable. Got on the phone with the builder who happened to have the electrician there. He was like "Coax is coax, I ran my house with that stuff and it works fine!"....
Typical GC. Listened to the same crap for over 30 years. Facts and specifications mean nothing if you can save a buck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seconds and thirds on pull strings are usually pretty hard because of the twisting of all the cables causing a lot of friction. Unless you lead a charmed life it is tough. You really have to go slow pulling in new cabling. I pulled a straight run 400 ft into an overhead 4 inch conduit that only had about 20 - 18 gauge 3 and 4 conductor and unbeknownst to me a fiber backbone. Well, guess who had to replace their fiber backbone because I burned through it. The second pull I used a can of silicone dry lube.
I've pulled miles of wire through conduits. Everything from 4'0 MCM to bundles of loomed 14 ga thhn in up to 6" Conduit. Cables have to be loomed to prevent the twisting that you described. Hydraulic pullers at times, forklifts at other times.
If all else fails, what we used was called called baby shat back in the day because it looked just like it, has evolved into silicone lube. I'm sure both you guys have used it. It's a life saver.

ideal-electrical-grease-lubricants-31-381-64_1000.jpg

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had to use lube. The only conduits I've ever had to use was from the pedestal to the house. Being a residential tech I've never had to use conduits in the homes (reason why I want my house built with em). But I have pulled RG-11 through 1" conduit over 250' before, by hand, was not fun. It was me running from one end to another many times having to push on one end then pull on the other for the last 50-60 ft. The customer made it clear that if we had to dig a new line he would drop our service. Old drop was fried from voltage feedback off the house when the house neutral failed and the ground was missing, used the grounded connection at the tap as a neutral. I was the second tech out, first told him about the backfeed and that we wouldn't touch it until PSO fixed the issue.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
But I have pulled RG-11 through 1" conduit over 250' before, by hand, was not fun. It was me running from one end to another many times having to push on one end then pull on the other for the last 50-60 ft.

Shoulda used lube. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom