Pecan Rye Whiskey?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the debate here hinges on 'infusion' as you find it in the dictionary and the more specific use when talking whiskey, or vodka or whatever. Sure, whiskey picks up flavors from the aging barrels. So, I suppose by dictionary definition the barrel is infusing flavor. But, infusion in the spirits world is typically adding a flavor, chocolate, hazelnut, bacon or just about anything else you can think of.

Or, I could be completely wrong, I'm certainly no expert.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the debate here hinges on 'infusion' as you find it in the dictionary and the more specific use when talking whiskey, or vodka or whatever. Sure, whiskey picks up flavors from the aging barrels. So, I suppose by dictionary definition the barrel is infusing flavor. But, infusion in the spirits world is typically adding a flavor, chocolate, hazelnut, bacon or just about anything else you can think of.

Or, I could be completely wrong, I'm certainly no expert.

I kinda starts with what goes in the “container” (cause it doesn’t have to be a barrel) isn’t bourbon or whiskey. It’s spirits or liquor. When it has aged the prescribed amount of time, then it’s bourbon or whiskey. What you do with it after it becomes bourbon or whiskey and if you want to drink it or not is everyone’s own business. What the distillers call it, and what you put on the label is however governed by law, not tradition, and there is a distinct difference in aging and infusing.

I understand what they are saying, that it’s semantics. But it isn’t, anymore than calling a mag a clip or saying .223 is the same as 5.56 make either of them true. It’s just wrong. It is what it is. Seriously though, I’m done discussing it. It’s pointless at this juncture and here’s the thing, if someone wants to drink that ****, then I’m all for it. Pour a glass and have 1 or 6 with the friends of your choice. In the end that’s all that matters. I’ll leave that as my final word on the matter and the discussion can continue without me.

Cheers! :drunk5:

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I kinda starts with what goes in the “container” (cause it doesn’t have to be a barrel) isn’t bourbon or whiskey. It’s spirits or liquor. When it has aged the prescribed amount of time, then it’s bourbon or whiskey. What you do with it after it becomes bourbon or whiskey and if you want to drink it or not is everyone’s own business. What the distillers call it, and what you put on the label is however governed by law, not tradition, and there is a distinct difference in aging and infusing.

I understand what they are saying, that it’s semantics. But it isn’t, anymore than calling a mag a clip or saying .223 is the same as 5.56 make either of them true. It’s just wrong. It is what it is. Seriously though, I’m done discussing it. It’s pointless at this juncture and here’s the thing, if someone wants to drink that ****, then I’m all for it. Pour a glass and have 1 or 6 with the friends of your choice. In the end that’s all that matters. I’ll leave that as my final word on the matter and the discussion can continue without me.

Cheers! :drunk5:

I haven't ever tried any of the flavored stuff I can say I actually liked. I kinda migrate around in my preferences. Right now I'm poking around highland single malts but also baby stepping into some Islay. It's growing on me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so, they don’t char the inside of the barrels to infuse the charred oak flavoring into the spirits they are putting into the barrel? So, when Woodford ages their bourbon in charred oak barrels and then, by their own definition, takes the aged bourbon out and puts it into new charred oak barrels to give it a more pronounced flavor profile, they really aren’t doing that? Lol. Ok.

That would be Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.
Otherwise known as the nectar of the Gods.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All you ladies keep arguing. Just give me a bottle of either High West Double Rye or Michters Straight Rye. Not sure how i got on the Rye wagon but I seem to like it the most.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All you ladies keep arguing. Just give me a bottle of either High West Double Rye or Michters Straight Rye. Not sure how i got on the Rye wagon but I seem to like it the most.
All those arguing wouldn't know what the hell they are drinking after the first ounce down the throat.
Expensive stuff for the first drink, reserve for the rest of the evening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom